Dura Click pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mick

mick

If you've turned the new Dura Click pen and have pictures let's see some of the examples. It seems to me that a fairly straight bushing to bushing profile is best but I'm always open to something different.
Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Yes, Mike ..... because of the Duraclick EDC design ( straight-sided end hardware pieces of significant length ), it is my opinion that a straight-sided barrel profile is the best.

The nib end piece is about 0.89" long, and the finial end piece is about 0.41" long plus the clicker mechanism is 0.60" beyond that.

So even a slightly bulged barrel would not look right in my opinion. . And the rather stiff clip is another factor against bulging ... it would bear down too hard on a bulged barrel.

I guess you could get away with a slightly bulged barrel, but what's the point ... the overall pen design begs for straight sides.

mick

Yes, Mike ..... because of the Duraclick EDC design ( straight-sided end hardware pieces of significant length ), it is my opinion that a straight-sided barrel profile is the best.

The nib end piece is about 0.89" long, and the finial end piece is about 0.41" long plus the clicker mechanism is 0.60" beyond that.

So even a slightly bulged barrel would not look right in my opinion. . And the rather stiff clip is another factor against bulging ... it would bear down too hard on a bulged barrel.

I guess you could get away with a slightly bulged barrel, but what's the point ... the overall pen design begs for straight sides.
That's my thoughts also but sometimes somebody will do something a little differently and it sort of works. I'd not considered the clip but you're right about that also. The instructions with the kit had an interesting profile. It was turned straight but slightly bigger diameter than the bushing. Then it tapered at maybe a 20° angle to thre bushings. I might try one. I've got plenty of tubes.

magpens

The instructions with the kit had an interesting profile. It was turned straight but slightly bigger diameter than the bushing. Then it tapered at maybe a 20° angle to the bushings. I might try one. I've got plenty of tubes.

I saw that profile in the instructions. . You could try it and see what you think ... everybody's tastes are different; but that profile does not do anything for me. . Personally, I hate a clip that is so tight to the barrel that you cannot get it over the thickness of your shirt pocket fabric. You can, I suppose, back off the clip tension just by back-bending it a little, but I hate making those fiddly adjustments, partly because of the risk of overdoing it (a too-loose clip can result in you actually losing your pen !!).

mick

One thing I may try is shortening the pen enough to do away with the refill extension. I'm not comfortable selling something that has a piece that's probably be easy to lose.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
IMG_1583.jpg

magpens

One thing I may try is shortening the pen enough to do away with the refill extension. I'm not comfortable selling something that has a piece that's probably be easy to lose.

That's a very good idea. . You should check my numbers that I am about to give ... I just measured the refill extension to be 0.49".
Now, in my opinion, the barrel shortening could be a bit less than that, and I would suggest shortening by 0.46" to 0.47".

My suggestion is based on my thought that the refill presently sticks out just a little too much.

mick

Mark, those are some good looking pens. I just finished one and like it. I bought 10 and I'm going to market it as a "working man's pen! [emoji2060]
2d54b88f1545d2c2a11f1a696740630d.jpg

mick

That's a very good idea. . You should check my numbers that I am about to give ... I just measured the refill extension to be 0.49".
Now, in my opinion, the barrel shortening could be a bit less than that, and I would suggest shortening by 0.46" to 0.47".

My suggestion is based on my thought that the refill presently sticks out just a little too much.
Haha! Around 3/8" was my unprofessional estimate.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, those are some good looking pens. I just finished one and like it. I bought 10 and I'm going to market it as a "working man's pen! [emoji2060]
2d54b88f1545d2c2a11f1a696740630d.jpg

I do like the kit, but Mal's comments and suggestions are excellent. I also have eliminated the extender at times. I worry about depending on others to manage a refill 4-6-12 months after I told them to save the insert.

Very nice pen BTW. Stay healthy 😷

magpens

I was just thinking about figuring out some way to attach it to the click mechanism.

PRECISELY what should have been done from the beginning when PSI introduced this first pen kit which uses the SKM-88 click mechanism. . This is the pen kit we are talking about, the DuraClick EDC. . Adding an extension to the click mechanism plunger is possible and could be done even now although it's best done when the click mechanism is being manufactured.

That is what Berea did when they brought out the "Blade" pen kit, and more recently the "Sierra Super Button Click" kit.
They lengthened the plunger part of the click mechanism ... the part which "reaches down" and contacts the refill.
There are no "refill extenders" in either of these Berea pen kits. . I am thinking that Berea actually ordered the SKM-88 mechanisms from Schmidt with the plunger already lengthened because there is no visible add-on to the plunger in either Berea kit.

To their credit, PSI does not require a refill extender in their other pen kits (all introduced within the last year) which utilize the Schmidt click mechanisms. . There are three such pen kits, namely the "Everyday Classic", the "Anvil", and the newest, the "Groove". . It is worth noting that all three of these use the Schmidt SKM-192 click mechanism, whereas the subject of this thread, the DuraClick EDC, uses the Schmidt SKM-88 mechanism. . Both the SKM-88 and the SKM-192 are based on the same principle and work the same way. . The SKM-192 differs from the SKM-88 mainly in the fact that it is smaller in size and also in the fact that it does not have a nicely integrated "button" that your finger contacts. . The button is provided by the pen kit manufacturer, not by Schmidt who is merely the mechanism supplier.

EDIT: An INTERESTING EXPERIMENT which I just did. . Remove the click mechanism and the refill extender from the PSI DuraClick.
Replace both parts with the already lengthened click mechanism from the Berea "Blade".
You now have what we want. . But ... the lengthened click mechanism is just a little too long ... by about 1 mm.

So ... All you have to do now, is grind about 1 mm off the longer mechanism from the Berea "Blade" and use it in the PSI DuraClick ...
..... no refill extender needed now !! . I guess this proves the point both effectively and conclusively !!

So .... buy two pen kits, and make one pen !!! . And then you can extend the PSI extender, put it in the Berea "Blade" and .......
Voila ! .... you are almost back to where you started ! . ( ... with a little role reversal which will not please everybody !!! )

Last edited:

TonyL

I bought replacement inserts to covert a rollerball to a ballpoint (about 3 years ago). They are cheap. I don't remember where I bough them from; they were black though.

TonyL

I just tested it. They work; you may have to shave a mm off of it. Just find the less expensive source. Milans?

mick

Trust me..they were less than 30 cents. I didn't buy them from this merchant.
Tony, the thing is even now that we know there's a replacement I still wouldn't necessarily be happy selling something with the caveat "if you lose this I can get another." That's just me though.

mick

I just tested it. They work; you may have to shave a mm off of it. Just find the less expensive source. Milans?
I wonder if it'll be like other replacement parts. Before long every supplier will carry them as replacement parts. I can remember when I first started doing this you couldn't even find after market transmissions for slimlines. Now everyone had them.

TonyL

Tony, the thing is even now that we know there's a replacement I still wouldn't necessarily be happy selling something with the caveat "if you lose this I can get another." That's just me though.

Like you, I would only do what I am comfortable doing. I am confronted with similar decisions when a customer requests a certain kit or finish. There are even some folks that I politely refuse to sell to. Be well.

WriteON

Might try a few more at reduced length. The clips have a nice tension. Some novelty pens need a crow bar to open the clip for shirt pocket carry.

Attachments

• 4749740F-CCEA-46E9-A1B8-99AA70A020DE.jpeg
    4749740F-CCEA-46E9-A1B8-99AA70A020DE.jpeg
    229.8 KB · Views: 143

mick

Like you, I would only do what I am comfortable doing. I am confronted with similar decisions when a customer requests a certain kit or finish. There are even some folks that I politely refuse to sell to. Be well.
Like you the customer is always right but I'm very up front with them in my opinions of certain kits and platings.(all though I never call them kits, it's always hardware or fittings) Most of the time this works out well with both of us and I've created many return customer that will bypass other turners and buy from me. All in all I don't want to sell something the customer might be unhappy with later although I have completely replaced a pen at no cost a couple of times. It only costs me a few dollars but creates a returning friend.

mick

Might try a few more at reduced length. The clips have a nice tension. Some novelty pens need a crow bar to open the clip for shirt pocket carry.
Those like good! I like the shortened pen. I'm going to make one and see how it feels.

WriteON

All in all I don't want to sell something the customer might be unhappy with later although I have completely replaced a pen at no cost a couple of times. It only costs me a few dollars but creates a returning friend.

People have a long memory. Once they trust you you're in for every. Quality and honesty comes back to you

More4dan

The EDC is a nice pen when shortened. I took a tad too much off and had to trim the refill. But the pen length is great. Will post pictures later.

You should be able to shorten the Schmidt lower pin that contacts the refill. I've had to do that a couple times for kitless pens using the same mechanism.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

I have made a few more, but sold them or gave as gifts. Here are some from my inventory as well as my person EDC (the red and blue M3). I also made some ED classics (see the green one in TS).
EDCs.jpg

dcameraman

Here's my collection of DuraClicks right now. I haven't really done anything but a very slight curve, almost straight.

IMG_5887.JPG IMG_5888.JPG IMG_5889.JPG

The latest one . . . not glued up yet. Just a dry fit.

IMG_E5886.JPG

I've had to trim the click mechanism a little . . . now I'm very careful taking off those last thousands, trying to get the blank end square.

TonyL

Top Bottom