Dumpster Diving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

On the way back home from playing guitar and singing at a nursing home this afternoon, I did a little dumpster diving at the local cabinet shop .

Left to right is soft maple , hard maple, alder and hickory . Shortest pieces are 9" long .

Should make some decent looking turnings after some cutting and glue ups .Gotta love nice dry seasoned wood especially when it's free .

One persons garbage is another person's gold .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

You should ask the 'shop' if you can just provide a 'trash can' for them to toss their scraps into, then you would only need to swing by and empty the 'can' into the vehicle!

Nice haul though!!!!

Scott (if they only had some purpleheart) B

Cmiles1985

Cabinet shops are great! Those scraps are handy for a lot more than just turning also. My dad fills his truck from the "burn pile" at his buddy's cabinet shop in Progreso, MX. He's always bringing me tons of "scrap" wood that is mostly oak with some walnut and maple thrown in. In exchange for saving me pieces, I made the cabinetmaker two slimline pen/pencil sets out of his own scraps!

W.Y.

Decided to try a couple little 7" diameter bowls with some of those scraps . These are Hickory and Hard Maple . I think the end grain sanding on that Hickory was about the hardest stuff to sand that I have encountered. So for the rest of it I will incorporate it into some segment bowl turnings so there will be no end grain sanding to contend with .

Marko50

William, welcome to the elite "Dumpster Diving Crew"!

…We need to make up a T-shirt of some sort to issue to "The Few, The Proud, The Elite". :wink:

Top Bottom