Dumb mistake = 6 Stitches

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vanngo5d

Working in the shop last night doing about 3 things at once. Casting, Powder-coating, and drilling some blanks. I turned off the lathe and the chuck spun loose I reached across to prevent the chuck from coming off onto the floor slicing the side of my hand with the brad point of a 27/64" bit.
Don't think this stopped me at first I had to hold it closed with the other hand. Pull a mold out the oven get the resin that was ready and still make the pour. Then I showed my wife who at that point insisted a trip to the ER. 1 hour later 6 stitches and a tetanus shot I made it back home.
My 9 yr old son described it like chicken skin because the way the skin moved around on my palm.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Buzzzz4

No pics? Glad you are OK. Our brains aren't set up for multitasking. Good reminder for all of us to slow down in the shop.

ER trip??? Stitches??? Your telling me you didnt have some CA glue and duct tape handy? Ok Hand the man card over your on probabtion..lol I do hope your ok..and if you were drilling wood at the time I sure hope your next pen isnt a "RED" dyed buckeye burl

longbeard

Glad it was just stitches. A 60dg center in the tail stock will open you up too! DAMHIKT
Hope it doesnt slow ya down from making your cigar blanks. :biggrin: jk
Glad your ok Don.

ossaguy

Hi Don,

Ouch! I hate it when stuff like that happens in the shop.I'm glad you're going to be ok,hoping for a fast recovery!

Take care,
Steve

Sataro

Glad to hear that you are ok. Hopefully you will recover quickly & it will not be too much of a slow down for you.

PaulDoug

You probably had CA close by, a "real turner" would have glued the cut shut and kept on going! Just kidding. Hope you heal fast.

farisdayoff

60 Deg live center, I am just learning, is brutal! I look like I have stigmata from inbedding that thing in my palm! SMH.

Heres to a fast recovery to you! Getting the heeby jeeby's thinking about chicken skin being sewn back on now.

OKLAHOMAN

Don,glad the wife insisted on a trip to the ER, you surely didn't need an infection setting in and slow down we can wait a few extra days for blanks (as long as there is no blood on them LOL)

BSea

Accidents can happen really fast in the shop. I've been really lucky. About the worst thing I've done is sand the skin off the end of my finger on my disc sander. BTW, don't use CA on something like I did. I might as well have put my finger in lemon juice. The bad part was that I couldn't stop the CA from stinging for about 10 minutes. Running under water doesn't help. In fact nothing helped but time. So CA is just to close small cuts, not to make fake skin.

A 60dg center in the tail stock will open you up too! DAMHIKT
Is it just me, or does this sound wrong.:eek::biggrin:

Brooks803

What I've taken from this event is the level of commitment you have to finish my PITH pen :glasses-cool:

If you got blood on it just CA over it. That way I KNOW you put sweat, tears, & blood into it's making.

Seriously though...I'm glad you're ok and hope the stitches don't hinder your day to day activities to much.

On a less serious thought....what cost more...the ER trip or a new chuck :tongue:

please don't send me a slimline now :redface:

stonepecker

Very happy nothing worse happened. With time, this also will heal and be just a lesson learnd the hard way

Take your time and be safe. Hope that you heal fast.

vanngo5d

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll live, this doesn't slow me down much. I was back in the shop after the return from the ER.
The main reason I went was I thought about the last time I had a tetanus shot and best guess was somewhere around 30 years.

Rick I will still be there tomorrow.

Jonathon I thought slimline was your favorite style.:biggrin::biggrin:

BSea

Thanks for all the comments guys, I'll live, this doesn't slow me down much. I was back in the shop after the return from the ER.
The main reason I went was I thought about the last time I had a tetanus shot and best guess was somewhere around 30 years.

Just make sure it's pine!:wink:

vanngo5d

Just make sure it's pine!:wink:

Wow Bob you read my mind.... a pine slimline about 1" thick. So would that still be a slim:cool::cool:

Top Bottom