Dull Finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry

Hey everyone I need some finishing tips. I just started this addictive art of turning pens about two months ago.The turning seems to come out great but I can't seem to reach the level of finish that I'm looking for.I start with either shellaway or crystal coat and it looks pretty good. then I apply high gloss mini wax polyurethane but it seems to dull the shine.

How do most of you finish your work? When you apply the polyurethane do you let it dry naturally or buff spin it immediately on the lathe? I have reached the conclusion that the ployurethane needs to dry for a day then buff it with steel wool? But what do I know as a rookie pen turner! Please give me some hints that have worked for the rest of you from start to finish.

Also tell me about CA finishes. What are the steps to use CA for a finish?

Thanks
Larry Groll

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

Larry,
There are may ways to apply a CA finish. Take a look at this one. You have to do the trial and error thing to find what works for you...

http://www.penturners.org/content/CAFinish1.pdf

vick

Lary,
I would guess that putting poly on after shelawax crystal\coat would be a bad idea. The wax in the shelawax\CC would prevent the poly from bonding to the surface. Also I would let poly cure for at least a wek before buffing to allow it some time to cure. If you had your heart set on these 2 products I would finish with the poly, let it cure a week buff it, then use the Shelawax\CC as a top coat.

I am not an expert but their is my 2 cents.

JimGo

Larry,
If you're only sanding to 400 grit, you aren't sanding enough to get a REALLY good finish. Try MicroMesh before applying the Poly, knocking it down using steel wool (0000 or better) or MicroMesh between coats (note that this means allowing the poly to cure pretty well between coats!). Finish by starting with about 4000MM and running up through 12000, then some plastic polish. This should give you a nice shine. I've only done it twice, but was pleased with the results (I'm a CA guy, at least for now).

Larry

Thanks for the help guys I will give all of the suggestions a try and see what works best for me.There is so much to learn and everyone has some great ideas.Thanks again.

Larry

chigdon

I would personally not use poly at all. If you are going to use a finish that has that kind of cure times I would use lacquer. That being said I would use CA over either of them or any other finish (for pens). Once you get the hang of it it is quite easy and quick. I only sand the wood with 400 and 600 and then after applying CA polish up to 12000 micro mesh.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Larry,

Look at the top of the finishing forum for Wayne's Enduro finishing method. Enduro is a water based poly that many of us prefer. I used CA for awhile, but in my hands the Enduro works much better.

Like all of us, you need to experiment with different methods and finishes and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom