Duck call

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from eteska

eteska

Just finished my first duck call. Can't wait to try it out this fall! Maple burl finished with OB Shine juice.

Curious about what kinds of finishes others are using???

IMG_3537.JPG

IMG_3538.JPG

IMG_3539.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DrD

Sounds like you may need to schedule a product test in south Louisiana getting your call exposed to that brackish bayou water; duck population down there typically makes such a trip worth while.

dogcatcher

I use spar varnish, preferably Helmsman brand for duck calls. The barrel end appears to be long, but I cannot tell for sure since I cannot see where the toneboard ends in the barrel. You might also want to make a deeper lanyard groove, The wood and the plastic insert will expand and contract at different rates when subjected to heat and cold, so you ight consider adding a metal band so the wood doesn't split. Now for the big question, how does it sound?

eteska

I use spar varnish, preferably Helmsman brand for duck calls. The barrel end appears to be long, but I cannot tell for sure since I cannot see where the toneboard ends in the barrel. You might also want to make a deeper lanyard groove, The wood and the plastic insert will expand and contract at different rates when subjected to heat and cold, so you ight consider adding a metal band so the wood doesn't split. Now for the big question, how does it sound?

Thank you for the tips! I was attempting to model the shape and length after an acrylic one that a purchased years ago. The sound board is about an inch in from the end. I have two more to make so I will try some of your suggestions on my next ones.

As for how it sounds.. to my untrained ears I think it sounds at least as good as the ones I have bought over the years. Guess only time will tell if the ducks like it though.
IMG_3570.JPG

A bit hard to see in there but I did measure it with my calipers at just a smidge I've 1 inch.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

MiteyF

I finish most of my duck calls with Tru-Oil. It's super good stuff. A little slow to apply, but beautiful and tough once fully polymerized.

I haven't made a duck call in a few years and don't remember what I finished them with... since I don't hunt, they've all been sold, so none to look at....
Beautiful wood you used on the call.... curious as to where you got the plastic part... mine were all wood...

eteska

I haven't made a duck call in a few years and don't remember what I finished them with... since I don't hunt, they've all been sold, so none to look at....
Beautiful wood you used on the call.... curious as to where you got the plastic part... mine were all wood...

I bought these more than a year ago. Put them in a drawer and kind of forgot about them.. I know you can get them in a few places but I believe I got mine here.

MiteyF

Tellico, how did you shape the sound boards? I've often thought of purchasing a jig, but they aren't cheap for something that only gets used a few times a year.

Tellico, how did you shape the sound boards? I've often thought of purchasing a jig, but they aren't cheap for something that only gets used a few times a year.
I'm assuming you are talking about the reeds... if you go to HUTPRODUCTS.COM
they offer duck call kits that include a reed.... since I don't hunt, not sure of how to tune one, but I made a couple of dozen over the early years and they've all sold and most that bought them thought they sounded good.

MiteyF

Tellico, the soundboard is the curved piece that the reed sits/vibrates against, and is the primary dictator of the call's sound. Much like in the instrument world, they work just the same. I understand the confusion though, it looks like Hut just calls the whole thing a "reed assembly", which should be more correctly called an "insert", with the part you blow into, the "barrel". The sound board is (part of) the reason very expensive calls are often regarded as "better" than many of the less expensive, mass produced calls. Most of the more expensive calls are CNC'd (or hand made sometimes) to a very specific shape, to garner a very specific sound, where most cheaper calls are injection molded (like the Echo and Hut) which are far less expensive to manufacture, but yield far more inconsistent products.

I've not tried the Hut version, but have built quite a few with the Echo insert, and found the primary problem to be inconsistency. I have one or two of the Echo inserts that have a wonderful sound, but I've gotten many inserts that just sound like ****, no matter what I do. Maybe I'll have to try one of the Hut versions.

That's interesting and good to know... like I said I'm not a hunter so never new the difference between a good sound and a not so good sound... also being a little tone deaf, it's hard for me to distinguish one sound from another at times. When I took the basic battery of tests in the Navy, they gave me a sonar test along with the rest. Three tones and I was to pick which one was different.... straight guess on my part and still wound up qualified for sonar school... fortunately made better scores on the radioman test and wound up there.

Top Bottom