DSLR?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Anyone have any advice on which type of DSLR camera to buy? I brought someone in to teach my students some digital photography, and it's rather fun. We've used his equiment for a few weeks, and now we're having a photography display at the local art gallery - the kids are rather excited about it.

Since it seems like something they'll stick with, I'm looking at getting a few cameras for the classroom to have on hand if we go for a walk or snowshoing or the like. From what I've gathered, it seems like you need to stick with one brand for cameras and lenses - should we be thinking Nikon or Canon? Anyone know of a fairly inexpensive store that sells used cameras?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I think the Canon cameras would be more affordable than Nikon.
Also Canon has been more generally popular so there should be some second-hand bodies and lenses more readily available.

Be sure to get blue-tooth capability . . . makes transferring photos to computer so much easier

I bought a Canon EOS Rebel T5i ( a few years ago now ) but I did not think to get blue-tooth and I have been kicking myself ever since.
I have a lot of fun with a Macro 100 mm lens.

I don't know where you are in Canada. . In my vicinity the go-to stores for second-hand would be Kerrisdale Cameras.

Last edited:

rixstix

Don't have personal experience other than several longtime Nikon/Canon friends who abandonded their platforms for Olympus.

Fred Bruche

Used equipment resellers I've bought from KEH and Adorama.
In DSLR photography the lens is more important than the number of megapixels the sensor has. So you should probably put more $ on lenses than the body. I have been a Canon user for many years (I also have some Olympus micro 4/3 equipment). In my view Canon is a better option because not only you can use Canon lenses but also a large number of lenses can be easily adapted such as the old Olympus/Zuiko OM mount or Mamiya Sekor, or a large choice of M42 mount lenses. The drawback is that you have to manually focus but the lenses are very cheap for an outstanding optical quality (Olympus OM in particular), but that could be a fun way to learn and understand photography. Sony DSLRs are in the same category as Canon for using manual lenses but I have no experience using Sony equipment. Because of a longer flange focal distance (lens to film distance), most of these lenses can't be adapted to Nikon DSLR cameras.
Note: I have not followed closely the photography field for the past 3-4 years and things might have changed since :)

stolicky

My recommendation - the investment is in the glass. You should pick a brand and stick with it. I chose Canon 12 years ago, and have no regrets. There are now many versions of "mirrorless" DSLRs now, but I have stayed with the traditional DSLRs, for now. I do know that the normal Canon EOS lenses with work with the new Canon mirrorless bodies with an adapter, but can't speak to how well that marriage works.

As to the comment on snowshoeing and cold weather, there are precautions you should take. When taking camera equipment back into warmer temperatures, the recommendation is to put the camera into an enclosed (plastic) bag while it warms up. This will minimize condensation that could form inside the equipment. That condensation could lead to blurry images from the inside of the lens/camera, or worse, mold. If you have ever walked in with glasses on, you know what I am talking about!

Good luck.

monophoto

It's like boxers vs briefs - your choice.

My first SLR (a Mamiya-Sekor) died fairly unexpectedly. I had been doing some comparisons, so I was prepared to make a decision on a replacement. Based on analysis I had done of my needs and preferences, I chose Nikon. Later, when I moved to the 'dark side' and bought a DSLR, But to be clear, that choice was based on an analysis of my needs and preferences - YMMV.

Later, when I went to the 'dark side' and bought a DSLR, I stayed with Nikon. At the time, I naively believed that I would be able to continue to use the rather large collection of Nikon-mount lenses I had accumuldated for my film cameras. Sadly, that was not the case, but I still have been very happy with my Nikon DSLR.

No regrets.

jrista

I've used both Canon and Sony cameras over the years. I started with Canon, used Sony for a while, and am back with a Canon EOS R5. The Sony cameras are very nice, produce phenomenal image quality, but the mirrorless camera bodies of the A7 series are just too small for me to hold well. They may be a perfect fit for smaller hands, but the larger DSLR-style body of Canon's mirrorless R5 is pretty much perfection for my size of hands (not huge, but not small).

Sony's Exmor sensors deliver exceptional image quality. The latest line of Canon sensors is getting closer. The R5 sensor is generally of the same class as the Exmor sensors, although I think the edge still goes to Sony in the end. By image quality, I am referring to resolution, sharpness, dynamic range and color quality. I find that dynamic range can be quite important with pen photography, as highlights are often very bright (even when spread out) while the darkest shadows can be very dark (especially if you are using darker backdrops for your photos.)

I've been with Canon since about 2008, and even when I was using Sony cameras, I largely stuck with Canon glass. Their lenses are second to none, produce exceptional quality and sharpness across the field. They are built like tanks, easy to use, and last for a lifetime. This is, IMO, the biggest reason to buy into any particular system. Sony is growing their collection of lenses, but IMO they just aren't in the same class as Canon. Nikon has some excellent lenses as well, but again, Canon just has the better quality and a broader range of lens types, including a variety of specialty lenses like the MP-E 65mm macro lens, which is useful for close up photography of small things (i.e. bands, finials of pens), or their range of tilt/shift lenses, etc.

I fall in the middle when it comes to DSLR vs. Mirrorless. I have used and owned both. I currently use and own both, although I do use the EOS R5 the most. Ironically, the EOS R5 is the most DSLR-like of the mirrorless cameras I have used, and I LOVE it. I was a DIE HARD fan of a proper optical viewfinder for a long time, but the most recent Sony A7 series and EOS R5 camera EVFs have changed my opinion. They are wonderful, being able to see your exposure real time with your eye to the viewfinder is awesome, and all the extra heads up display stuff is great. The EVFs are such high resolution these days, you can't see the pixels anymore (one of my biggest complaints of the past), and the color depth and dynamic range are just about as good as an optical viewfinder now (I think the R5 EVF is better...just love it).

I think it is hard to go wrong with either a Sony A7 camera (i.e. the A7 or A7r are the best options imo, the A7s tends to have huge pixels which reduces resolution, although they are great if you need to photograph in much lower light), or a Canon EOS R5 (and maybe the R6). I think the prior generation of Canon DSLRs are great as well. The 6D and 5D series are great. The 7D line, never quite had the image quality, always seemed to be rather noisy, and did not have good dynamic range. I've owned a couple of 5D series DSLRs, and I have liked them all.

Oh, I will say this... I think all the cameras I list above are FULL FRAME cameras. This means their sensors are 36x24mm in size, so twice as large as your average "Rebel" type camera, and even larger than some other popular cameras. This larger fame makes it a lot easier to get closer to your subjects and get the most detail and dynamic range. You should be able to find a Canon 6D series full frame DSLR or a Sony A7 series mirrorless used for a pretty good price these days, and IMO having the larger sensor is worth it.

moke

maxwell- I owned a Camera Store up until 2014. I think either Nikon or Canon will serve you well. We also had a large studio operation, which I continued on with until a 2020 retirement, we used Canon in our operation. I think you find that they are fairly comparably priced and of equal features ( although Nikon is always slightly more). We chose Canon because when we first went to auto focus, back when Moses had short hair, Nikon focusing mechanism was extremely mechanical, and Canon was a head and shoulder smoother. Nikon quickly fixed that, and now I see no difference. Nikon always claimed that their glass was better, because in the old days, when lenses were hand ground, they truly did have better "grinders" (people), plus their glass was slightly contrastier, yielding, what had the appearance of sharper images. Now that lenses are machine ground and you have electronic control of contrast within the body, these do not apply, but you still hear older photographers talk about it. The one thing I did feel that Canon had the edge on, was simplicity of use, of the accessories. But again that is a very slight difference. If you are going to loan these to students in an uncontrolled environment, DSLR's are anything but durable. I always said they drop ok, but don't pick up well. We immediately noticed an increase in repairs as soon as schools went digital. We also ran a repair facility with in house repair, until 2007. Between parts and labor costs, most repairs are now high end cameras, that were 1k+ otherwise in a lot of cases, most actually, it was impractical to repair economically.

I hestiate to send you to a Sams or Best Buy, but you may get the best deal there on a Rebel or lower end Nikon. I would stay away from Mirrorless. I know the Rebel is a smaller sensor, but it will yield a pretty good image and short of selling your work or sending your students out to take weddings, it is going to work fine. Don't get caught up in pixel counts.... when we all started down the digital trail, I made most of my living with an 8 meg camera. I had 16x20 and 20x24 portraits hanging on the wall of my studio.....we all did then, there was not much else out there. And when someone says we didn't know any better, most of the people out there were classically trained with Hasselblad and 4x5 Cambos. Those were nice images. I recall that when digital was introduced they said that 35mm quality was about 6 meg. And that was with the older sensors. The bottom line is buy for your need....students don't need high end equipment. The only issue is the way the equipment is built, 300.00 lenses have a high end plastic focusing system, called a helicoid. That is the screw action that focuses the lens. If it is hit hard on the end it can jump a "cog". But lenses with metal helicoids are 700.00 and up. You can access the Canon website at CanonUSA.com and it will tell you how many cycles your shutter will be good for (estimation of photographs) even the low end ore 75k to 100K. Look at prices and asess your needs. Lots of times when you go into a Camera store you will find a 16 yo that will try and sell you more than you need. What they tell you is usually true, but sometimes more of a sales pitch than practical. Now having said all this, don't try and do wild things or use daily for a living with a Rebel.

Oh and I see you are from the great white north.....Digital Cameras and cold don't work that well together either. instruct your students to keep the camera inside their coats, but then you run the risk of having it fog over too.....
Good luck!

TonyL

See Matthew Posa on YouTube. He uses a DSLR that withstands some incredible conditions.

monophoto

Andrew

One other point - you mentioned buying several cameras for use in a school setting. I think someone mentioned that it would be helpful to standardize on one brand so that you would have interchangeability of lenses and other accessories. That's very true and could be important.

But there is another more subtle factor to consider since the cameras will be used by students - if you have manual focus lenses (many if not most DSLRs are autofocus), you should be aware that Canon and Nikon are different in that the direction of rotation when focusing is opposite. So sticking with one brand of camera means that if the students are using manual focus lenses, they won't be fighting muscle memory when switching from one brand to the other.

hokie

I would stay away from Mirrorless.
At the risk of derailing the thread, would you mind elaborating on that? I just got a Canon R6 and I love it. Admittedly, that is not exactly an entry level camera, but there are crop sensor versions available and I think the future is definitely trending in the mirrorless direction. Is it cost?, lens compatibility?

jrista

At the risk of derailing the thread, would you mind elaborating on that? I just got a Canon R6 and I love it. Admittedly, that is not exactly an entry level camera, but there are crop sensor versions available and I think the future is definitely trending in the mirrorless direction. Is it cost?, lens compatibility?
I'd like to hear more as well. I was against mirrorless for a while, and a huge DSLR fan, but the mirrorless cameras of today are amazing. I have a Canon R5 myself, and its phenomenal. Best camera I've ever owned. I like the more recent Sony A7 mirrorless line as well. I do a lot of landscapes, and the A7r III and IV are incredible. The Canon R series bodies, however, are a more optimal size IMO. More DSLR-like size wise, grip wise, handling wise...easier to use larger lenses with them, etc. Phenomenal cameras. Can't see any reason to avoid a mirrorless these days.

Woodchipper

I have a Canon T7 and like it. It's a beginner camera, I'm told. I don't even attempt to transfer photos by Wi-Fi. I have used a USB cable or card reader. I accidentally discovered a slot for a memory card in my Dell Laptop. I open to the home page, insert the card, wait for the beep and watch the screen. I also shoot in jpg and RAW which is compatible with Photoshop Elements 2021.
Tellico Turning has good advice. B&H has a good reputation.

sbwertz

Professional photographer for almost 20 years...(Mostly horse show photography, but also weddings, product photography, etc.) For me it is Canon all the way. One caveat.... if you are accustomed to shooting a Nikon, don't switch to Canon and vice versa....the lenses focus in the opposite direction....you will go nuts switching back and forth. I always had Canons, and bought a Nikon from a friend. Took it back within an hour! Missed every shot because I was twisting the lens in the wrong direction trying to focus.

Top Bottom