DRO Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

No laughing. Okay you can giggle at my lack of comprehension.

Folks have digital read outs. Why? Is it for precise recording and repeatability.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Easier to read than the dials, particulary the tailstock one.
As it is mounted to the moving portions, it iliminates the error from backlash in the leadscrews. Digital scales on their own work fine, but linking them to large screen displays ( DRO )makes life a doddle.
On a mill DRO displays also perform other functions like calculating PCDs etc.
Two axis DRO is a common add on to lathes, but 3 axis is for mills.
If a mill has an additional rotary axis, this becomes the 4th axis.

Personally, I think it's best for a person to learn to use the dials confidently and then only get DRO later as a 'luxury item'

Digital scales and DRO are on my next years Christmas list:biggrin:

bluwolf

There you have it from the man himself. I couldn't have explained it better. Skip, if anyone could justify DROs it's you.

Mike

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Pitch Circle Diameter. You use it to evenly space holes around a given diameter. Like a flange, or a chuck backplate. You can also use it to make stuff like index plates.

jd99

Yep what Skiprat said, I'll tell DRO's are great I have one installed on the mill and lathe, but I agree learn using the dials first, learn how to read the backlash in your lead screws.

When I started in my machining career there was nothing digital, we had equipment that was so worn out we had to bump the cross slide in and out as we were turning to turn a straight part.

We cut convex radius by putting a bar against the headstock and tool holder on the cross slide, for concave radius we put the bar against the tail stock and the tool holder; we auto feed the cross slide all while putting pressure against the bar with the carriage hand wheel. Fun Stuff:eek:

My point is ya had to think and know your stuff the computer wasn't there to do it for you.:wink: It's still a good way to learn, cause ya don't always get all that fancy stuff at home.:biggrin:

main thing is have fun.

Lenny

Easier to read than the dials, particulary the tailstock one.
As it is mounted to the moving portions, it iliminates the error from backlash in the leadscrews. Digital scales on their own work fine, but linking them to large screen displays ( DRO )makes life a doddle.
On a mill DRO displays also perform other functions like calculating PCDs etc.
Two axis DRO is a common add on to lathes, but 3 axis is for mills.
If a mill has an additional rotary axis, this becomes the 4th axis.

Personally, I think it's best for a person to learn to use the dials confidently and then only get DRO later as a 'luxury item'

Digital scales and DRO are on my next years Christmas list:biggrin:

While I only slightly comprehend what you are talking about, I have to think that anything that "makes life a doodle" has got to be on my list too!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:.... and I don't even have a metal lathe! :eek:
Love that expression, Skip! Gotta start using that one! :wink::)

Top Bottom