Driving

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
It's been an adventure. I haven't drove a car in over 7 months. My right foot and leg appear to have permanent nerve damage that hasn't allowed me to drive. So the Dr gave me 2 options. Get hand controls or drive left footed. So I've practiced levity footed. Yesterday was my first road trip. My dad rode shotgun to make sure I could do it. We drove about 15 miles round trip with quite a few red lights. It took lots of concentration but I made it!

Attachments

• DB0B777F-84B7-4106-841B-FFBC39CDAF03.jpeg
    DB0B777F-84B7-4106-841B-FFBC39CDAF03.jpeg
    285.2 KB · Views: 105
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Left-footed ? . . So what do you do with your right foot and leg ? . . hang it over to the passenger side and sit crooked in the driver's seat ?????

Well ..... anyway ..... you're on the move !! . . . . Keep up the progress !!!

I can't imagine what you've been through !!! . . . . Can you stand at your lathe ?

Doctors sometimes come up with strange solutions.... every time I use the left foot to brake, I nearly bang my nose on the steering wheel.... guess I drove stick shifts too long and muscle memory says push it to the floor. :D
Hang in there, looks like you are making good progress with recovery.

On the hand controls, when he was still alive, my brother in law was a part time musician and one of his band mates had artificial legs... he used a baseball bat to control his accelerator and brake.... my sister absolutely hated when he would drive to a gig... always worrying for her hubby's safety.

howsitwork

Ernie

You only worry when your dad comments and says your driving has improved!!

glad to know you're making progress. One day at a time and enjoy the time together whilst you do it

moke

Glad to hear that you are progressing. In Dec I shattered my right elbow. I had to do everything left handed....writing and eating was the biggest hurdles. My wife got to test her stain removal skills. Just as it was getting to feel normal, I was able to eat with my right again and the Physical Therpist ordered me to use it. With that, my arm was weak and not always "dependable". So I was back to staining shirts again.

I am sure that you are in PT. I am still going two to three times a week to get my strength back. I am sure, like me, PT is not the most pleasant thing you do in day. Keep your chin up and keep at it. We are all pulling for you! Keep us appraised as to how you are doing.....
My PT always said something I found to be inspirational.....you got this! I am sure your struggle makes mine look like a pittance....keep at it!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Glad to hear that you are progressing. In Dec I shattered my right elbow. I had to do everything left handed....writing and eating was the biggest hurdles. My wife got to test her stain removal skills. Just as it was getting to feel normal, I was able to eat with my right again and the Physical Therpist ordered me to use it. With that, my arm was weak and not always "dependable". So I was back to staining shirts again.

I am sure that you are in PT. I am still going two to three times a week to get my strength back. I am sure, like me, PT is not the most pleasant thing you do in day. Keep your chin up and keep at it. We are all pulling for you! Keep us appraised as to how you are doing.....
My PT always said something I found to be inspirational.....you got this! I am sure your struggle makes mine look like a pittance....keep at it!
Mike,
I didn't know that about your situation. Thanks for letting us know. You may have had a post on it but I didn't see it. Lifting your PT and Ernie's PT experiences in prayer. Pulling for you too!

moke

Hank...thanks for the post...it was ok, it was just an arm...I have two! While most folks think of PT as a task, I have enjoyed it. I was just released, or as I like to put it, my insurance got tired of paying. But for $30 per month I joined the PT facility like a gym, I use the same machines and more. I actually feel better than I have in twenty years. I am hoping Ernie has a positive experience with it too...thank you for the prayers.

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Thanks everyone. After researching, I have to take a vocational rehab class due to state laws. But because I'm working the state pays for that and whatever handicap device they deem that I need. So we'll see how it goes

sbwertz

Doctors sometimes come up with strange solutions.... every time I use the left foot to brake, I nearly bang my nose on the steering wheel.... guess I drove stick shifts too long and muscle memory says push it to the floor. :D
Hang in there, looks like you are making good progress with recovery.

On the hand controls, when he was still alive, my brother in law was a part time musician and one of his band mates had artificial legs... he used a baseball bat to control his accelerator and brake.... my sister absolutely hated when he would drive to a gig... always worrying for her hubby's safety.
I had only stick shifts for a long time...a Datsun and a truck....My best friend and I used to use her station wagon with an automatic to take the kids on trips. Everyone would cinch down their seatbelts and hang on for dear life as I tried to clutch and hit the brake with my left foot!

Top Bottom