Full Review Drillnado Dust Collector Accessory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
REVIEW: Drillnado

Product description from manufacturer's website:
"Revolutionarydrill press dust collection targets dust right at the source!."

MSRP: $40.00 + $5.00 shipping

I received two Drillnadokits and 4 extra expandable/collapsible housings from Chris Buczek,Owner/Inventor of the Drillnado system, at no cost, to evaluate forapplications to penturning. It arrivedvia USPS in a Priority box. See fig. 1.

Installing theDrillnado on my Rockwell RK7031L Drill Press was a breeze! Using just the larger set of bushingsincluded with the kit, it attached directly with no modifications needed. See Figs 2 and 3. Thekit includes bushings and magnetic sticker/shims to fit quills from 2.6"to 1.57" in diameter. The kit alsocomes with a expandable/collapsible housing with a 1.75" opening whichworks very well for most drill bits. Ifyou use larger bits. up to 3" can be accomodated by trimming thehousing. This also works with sandingdrums. I strongly suggest buying atleast 1 additional expandable/collapsible housing. About $8.00.

Now, the bigquestion for us penturners - Will it fit and work on a lathe for drilling penblanks? YES! It took me only a few minutes to modify thesecond Drillnado to fit my Rikon 70-050VS lathe. I just the smallest bushings that came withthe kit to fit around the tail stock. Itook it from 1.57" to 1.82" by mounting the entire upper housing unitin the chuck. You could just hold thebushing halves together in the chuck jaws just as easily. You could also try to mount the unit directlyonto the tail stock spindle, but that will reduce the amount of travelavailable. See Figs 4 and 5.

It worksgreat! Whenever I have more than oneblank to drill on the lathe, I now take the extra few minutes to mount theDrillnado and get great dust collection. In fact, I think it works BETTER ON THE LATHE THAN IT DOES ON THE DRILLPRESS! When used on the drill press, thecollapsible/expandable housing has to be compressed as you lower the drill bit. When attached to the tail stock on thelathe, you don't need to do anything but advance the drill bit in thechuck. The small space between thecollapsible/expandable housing and the pen blank never changes.

Is it worth themoney? I believe it is. Anytime I can help keep dust away from mylungs and a cleaner workspace, I will. If Chris Buczek had not given me the Drillnado kits to try, I would havebought at least one on my own.

Attachments

• Fig 1.jpg
    Fig 1.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 428
  • Fig 2.jpg
    Fig 2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 555
  • Fig 3.jpg
    Fig 3.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 576
  • Fig 4.jpg
    Fig 4.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 593
  • Fig 5.jpg
    Fig 5.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 474
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brownsfn2

The name is awesome. :)

Is there a video out there somewhere?

Also - Why not make the collapsible section out of clear material? Or is that an option?

csr67

Interesting, but not quite sure it's even needed for drilling on the lathe. I have the plexiglass lathe dust hood like the one in your picture. With a proper mount, it picks up about 90% of the dust/shavings when I'm drilling.

Top Bottom