DRILL PRESS SPRUCE UP

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drcal

I just got a good deal on a used Delta Drill Press. It is really smooth. It has very, very little rust--only 2 or 3 tiny (1/4") spots on the column. I want to really clean it up. What should I use to clean the column?

I now have 4 so I can drill 4 different types of pen barrels without changing bits.

Thanks.

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

I just got a good deal on a used Delta Drill Press. It is really smooth. It has very, very little rust--only 2 or 3 tiny (1/4") spots on the column. I want to really clean it up. What should I use to clean the column?

I now have 4 so I can drill 4 different types of pen barrels without changing bits.

Thanks.

Carmen
Tampa Bay

Holey!! Drilllly!!! Batman!!! (4)

jskeen

Come on Carmen, You know the rule. No pics, didn't happen! :)

There are several ways to clean up rust, just about any abrasive with some sort of lube will work. The most important thing is to keep it from rusting again and have it work smoothly. Be sure you put something under the rust spots to keep the rust from falling into the table mount, and clean well with dna, acetone, unleaded gas, or something that will remove oil and not leave an oily residue. Then wax the riser liberally with car past wax, or johnsons floor wax or something along those lines. Wax will protect from ambient moisture and the occasional fingerprint without attracting dust and grit like oil will.

Last edited:

Blue Danube

Four Drill presses!!?? Now that's a shop!!

Instead of using steel wooln use bronze wool or a synthetic abrasive pad.
The steel wool will actually inbed into the column and cause more rust, from my personal experiences....

Bellsy

Scotchbrite and a little bit of 10W40 and wipe it off with a paper towel. Then coat the entire column with oil again (lightly) and wipe it down again to prevent further rusting. Repeat the oil coating and wiping down a few times a year to prevent further rusting. This also acts as a good way to lubricate the column on a regular basis since they seldom are used full length.

Dave

Top Bottom