Drill Press Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Generally speaking, are floor drill presses more powerful than benchtop ones, even if they have the same horsepower motor, specifically 3/4 horse? I'm not talking cheap vs expensive. Say the same brand, Jet for example. I'm only interested in the power aspect between the two. What are your experience's and thoughts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Generally, a floor model will have more HP than a bench top simply because of the size of the machine. A larger machine would imply more power than the smaller one. Not knowing what models you are referring too, I would think that the floor model would be more powerful and a better option because the floor model will also be more stable because of the size and weight (plus more expensive usually). If you can afford the floor model and have the space I would recommend that.

KenB259

Generally, a floor model will have more HP than a bench top simply because of the size of the machine. A larger machine would imply more power than the smaller one. Not knowing what models you are referring too, I would think that the floor model would be more powerful and a better option because the floor model will also be more stable because of the size and weight (plus more expensive usually). If you can afford the floor model and have the space I would recommend that.

My guess would be same motor, same power. Just have the ability for longer (taller) work. Hopefully the floor model might have a longer stroke quill, though
That's my thinking too, but not sure

RobS

My guess would be same motor, same power. Just have the ability for longer (taller) work. Hopefully the floor model might have a longer stroke quill, though.
Correct when looking at the same model family, the floor and bench models are usually the same power, same pulleys, same depth of plunge, just longer distance between head and base. You need to read the spec sheet, for JET say, they usually have 3 models on one spec sheet and you can see.

monophoto

Generally speaking, are floor drill presses more powerful than benchtop ones, even if they have the same horsepower motor, specifically 3/4 horse? I'm not talking cheap vs expensive. Say the same brand, Jet for example. I'm only interested in the power aspect between the two. What are your experience's and thoughts?
A 3/4 HP drill press is 3/4 HP regardless of whether it is a floor model or a benchtop. Actually, it might not actually be 3/4Hp, but if you are comparing machines from the same maker, it's probably safe to assume that the power ratings are on the same basis, and 3/4Hp = 3/4Hp.

However, if you are comparing Brand X with Brand Y, it is possible that one or both of the manufacturers are playing numbers games with Hp ratings, so buyer beware. That's a form of liar's poker that law mower manufacturers abused so badly that they are now required to rate their machines in engine displacement rather than Hp. A similar problem was common with stereo equipment.

The other technical differences that might exist between drill press models include throw (throw is the distance that the quill can and roughly equates with the maximum depth of hole that a drill press can create in a single pass - benchtop machines tend to max out at 2" while floor models may have more throw), the number of pulley positions and the selection of pulley ratios. Having a broader selection of ratios, or a larger range of ratios may translate into better torque for the same power rating. In addition, of course, there are differences in the convenience features of the machines - push/pull versus crank mechanisms for raising and lowering the table, the size of the table, whether the table has a fence (you can always make one later), whether there is a worklight and how well it actually illuminates the work area (a worklight on a movable arm is far better than a fixed-position worklight), keyed versus keyless chuck, maximum drill bit shank diameter, etc.

The best way to compare different drill presses is to look at the specifications. Ideally, a manufacturer should provide a simple table comparing the models in his line, but if not, you can easily construct one where you list the various factors and the ratings of each machine you are considering.

A factor that I regret NOT taking into account is how well the chuck grips drill bits, and how easily it is to mount bits. Specifically, it is very hard to center small bits in the chuck of my drill press without standing on my head to look up at the bottom of the chuck.. That's not something you would think about unless you have experience with a drill press on which that is a problem.

egnald

The quill travel was the biggest motivating factor for me when I traded up from a bench to a floor model drill press. My lesson learned was that the next one will be to get one with an even longer travel. Strangely, I think I find my floor model actually more mobile than my bench model was as I can use its built in leverage to sort of walk it around in the shop if I need to move it rather than having to lift my old bench model up. I've had my eye on the Rikon 17-inch model that they sell through Rockler. I like the 5-inch quill travel, the speed changing mechanisim, and the depth stop mechanisim - all are superior to what my Craftsman has. - Dave

NGLJ

I recently purchased the Rikon 12" benchtop model. So far I really like it. My previous 20 yr old one was 13" and had a longer travel which I slightly miss but I got fed up of changing belts to change speed. Most of my drilling is accommodated within the low speed range. So belt changes are minimal. I always thought that one day I would buy a drill press with a DVR for the ultimate in drill speed control but can't justify the cost .

KenB259

The quill travel was the biggest motivating factor for me when I traded up from a bench to a floor model drill press. My lesson learned was that the next one will be to get one with an even longer travel. Strangely, I think I find my floor model actually more mobile than my bench model was as I can use its built in leverage to sort of walk it around in the shop if I need to move it rather than having to lift my old bench model up. I've had my eye on the Rikon 17-inch model that they sell through Rockler. I like the 5-inch quill travel, the speed changing mechanisim, and the depth stop mechanisim - all are superior to what my Craftsman has. - Dave
I just looked up the Rikon, the motor is 1 1/2 horse, most I've seen are 3/4, so this might be my top contender right now and it's even variable speed with a 5 year warranty.

Woodchipper

Mine is a Delta benchtop which serves me fine. There have been rare occasions where the travel of a floor model would be good but the expense and limited space eliminate that possibility. If I need deeper holes, I buy them a glue them in.

jrista

My guess would be same motor, same power. Just have the ability for longer (taller) work. Hopefully the floor model might have a longer stroke quill, though.
Stroke was the main difference I saw when I picked up my Jet drill press. The desktop drill presses usually have much shorter stroke, and for drilling pen blanks the stroke is very important. The $999 floor-standing Jet press has a 5" stroke, which is good enough even for a "longwood" pen which have a very long single-segment tube.

In my case, I had a lot more floor space than benchtop space as well, and the free-standing Jet press fit better in my shop as well. I think there may also be differences in the table...IIRC the free-standing table was larger than the benchtop.

KMCloonan

I used to have a Delta Benchtop drill press, which I liked, but then I got a deal on a barely used Grizzly G7946 floor model - it's a radial drill press which means the head can rotate as well as move horizontally. Truth be told, I have not really needed the floor model for the quill travel - I have benefited from the floor model more for what I can fit between the table and the chuck, which has allowed me to even position some cabinets under the chuck to drill some holes.

It's only 1/2HP, but that has not been a problem in the 10 years I have owned it. Also, I have it on a mobile base (as I do with everything in my small shop), so I can wheel it about as needed.

Edit: Grizzly has the same Drill press as a benchtop model (G7944) and it is also 1/2HP)

howsitwork

Ken

probably not relevant to you but often there is a difference in throat capacity. Thats the distance between the chuck and the column ie you can put wider bits of stuff in to drill before it hits the column.

Power from the same maker is the same as stated as noted above . Quill stroke maybe greater and often the head casting is a bit beefier too. Tables maybe larger too which can be handy.

Top Bottom