Drill Doctor: worth it? Better option?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

So I'm looking at my ever-growing collection of drill bits and thinking it may be time to sharpen a few of the ones I use most often -- especially the ones that I'm about to poke into nasty ole burl pen blanks.

I've seen the videos about Drill Doctor, and I'm thinking of getting the 750X (as quite a few of my bits exceed the 1/2" capacity of the 500X model).

Is it worth it? Is there a better option? Bear in mind that I have no training in any of this stuff, so hand-sharpening bits feels like a risky proposition (especially for the bit that's about to drill into some exotic and pricey wood!)

Thanks for any insight/advice ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I bought the 750 a few months ago and really love mine especially after soliciting the opinions of the IAP folks. However, since then, I also purchased the top of the line Norseman bits in the common pen making sizes, and really love them. I have not had to sharpen them yet.

jj9ball

The drill doctor is a home run if you buy a lot of wierd sized metric jobber bits from places like victornet. I have a whole pile that I use on custom pens and if you drill stuff like steel with them they get really dull really fast. The drill doctor makes them like new and if you split the point on them it actually makes them work better than new. Bottom line is if you own a drill doctor you can buy junky bits and make them sharp. If you don't have one you will need to buy expensive bits and hope they don't get dull. Just my 1 cent worth.

yort81

Duncan.... the 750 is worth EVERY penny and then some... this should be one of the required tools that everyone should buy straight off the bat.. if they are going to own drill bits... I found that the 750 will make crappy harbor freight drill bits cut like an expensive bit (if not make them cut straight) I have since moved on to the Tormek DBS-22 for the Tormek which... is considerably more dollars... but a massive step UP... and i gave my 750 away (they were thrilled with it too)..... If you can afford the 750... you will never regret it :~)

duncsuss

I ... really love mine

The drill doctor is a home run if you buy a lot of wierd sized metric jobber bits from places like victornet.

Duncan.... the 750 is worth EVERY penny and then some...

+1 more for drill Dr.

It is a no brainer...get a Drill Doctor

Guys, guys ... no need to fight about it :wink:

Since it's such a controversial topic, I guess I'm going to have to buy one and take my chances ... :biggrin:

Thanks!!!

Cloven

I picked up a DD 750X a couple months ago for work, and it works a real treat. I would say it would be a worthy investment duncuss.

KenV

If you already have a Tormec -- they sell a bit sharpening jig that might be a hair or two or three better than a drill doctor. Tormek is a bit closer to the gear that the tool and die grinding folks use.

At $280 for the jig in addition to having the Tormec, it is not causing the drill doctor crowd much concern though.

Last edited:

duncsuss

If you already have a Tormec ...

No sir, I'm using a regular 8" bench grinder for my bowl gouges etc. (with the Wolverine jig for anything more complicated than a parting tool or scraper.)

If I could afford a Tormek, I'd be able to buy a Drill Doctor for each bit :biggrin:

GDGeorge

I've got a Tormek and a DD750. I like them both but have no desire to buy the additional jig for the Tormek. The DD does what I need quickly and effectively. As a note, when I bought my DD (used) several years ago, I bought an extra stone for it. That stone is still in the original package.

Cmiles1985

At over $15 per bit on the >1/2" sizes, the DD 750 pays for itself pretty quickly. I've got one, and it paid for itself in just the standard bits I have. As said above, add the split point, and your bits are better than new. My only complaint is that it took a week for the tiny cut on my index finger to heal. I barely touched the end of my 7 mm bit and sliced pretty well!

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Several years ago I actually had the 750 in my possession. Brand new in an un-opened box. But...I sent it on to Australia, to my good friend who....PAID for it :redface: I've wanted one (like Steven) for a decade now. But, other things keep taking priority. Mike Roux has one and, sharpened my most used bits when I was in Florida. Which, has now been three years :redface::rolleyes:

If anyone has a spare they would like to unload, let me know. I just cannot make myself pay the full price. :frown:

plantman

Duncan; Like Chuck, above, I have been looking at and wanting to buy a Drill Dr. for many years now. But having bought all the ones that came ahead of it, and with 60 years of sharpening tools behind me, I found that I could do a better job with a grinding wheel and the naked eye. The eye can now barely see the drill point without magnifacation so it was time to find something better. After reading your thread and the comments that followed, I desided to check out the Drill DR. On Black Friday I purchased the DD750X at a fantastic price including free shipping. It came in it's own case with tool and instructions from Canada with a CD inclosed. No assembly, no adjusting, just plug and play. Place the bit in the chuck and follow the two simple steps. All bit setups are preset and you need only tighten the chuck. A cam guide and swivel holder do all the work and measuring for you, you just turn the chuck until the diamond wheel stops making contact with the bit. You have two standard presets 118 (wood) and 135 (metal) Degree angles, but you can reset the angle above or below these settings depending on the material you are drilling. On the 750, you can sharpen drill bits up to 3/4", and split the point to keep the drill from wandering on start up. First attempt at sharpening a bit was perfect, the machine does all the hard work. And, like someone else mentioned before, don't run your finger over the edge to see if it is realy that sharp. Trust me, it is !! You can also sharpen masonary bits with this unit. You can also buy other wheels with courser grits if you have broken bits that need a little faster cutting power. I am very pleased with this unit, and my next trip to the Habitat House will include all my other drill sharpening equipment. Jim S

Last edited:

Neededwill

Duncsuss, I just never seem to use it, I buy new bits. But it was gift and it can't do brad point. I will probably sell it at some point.

duncsuss

Duncsuss, I just never seem to use it, I buy new bits. But it was gift and it can't do brad point. I will probably sell it at some point.
Fair enough -- I've bought my share of gizzmos that sounded like a great idea at the time and haven't done much but collect dust since :rolleyes:

Thanks!

yort81

If you already have a Tormec -- they sell a bit sharpening jig that might be a hair or two or three better than a drill doctor. Tormek is a bit closer to the gear that the tool and die grinding folks use.

At $280 for the jig in addition to having the Tormec, it is not causing the drill doctor crowd much concern though.

Ken....I have the Tormek..... and about 2 years ago.... I upgraded it with the DBS 22 System from tormek.... ( i was using the DD 750 ) The DD 750 was completely awesome.... right up until i sharpened my first bit on the DBS 22 by Tormek.... it was all over for the DD 750...I gave it away :biggrin: And it was and IS still worth the $220 i paid for it... better than professional resharpening results... Like i said earlier... it makes the cheap harbor freight bits Better than the Quality bits you purchase brand new... Now.. dont get me wrong... the DD 750 is an awesome tool for resharpening... but i would never go back to it :)

Fish30114

Hey guys, does the drill doctor 750 work on Brad point bits like the Fisch master penmaker bits? It seems pretty straightforward to use, is it as simple as it sounds, and are there any consumable parts to it--i.e. are there grinding discs or such that will wear out?

Sounds like a nice tool, I would hate if it ruined the Fisch bits I have, which I like very much.

duncsuss

Hey guys, does the drill doctor 750 work on Brad point bits like the Fisch master penmaker bits? It seems pretty straightforward to use, is it as simple as it sounds, and are there any consumable parts to it--i.e. are there grinding discs or such that will wear out?

Sounds like a nice tool, I would hate if it ruined the Fisch bits I have, which I like very much.

No, it doesn't do brad point bits.

Yes, there is a diamond abrasive wheel that could wear out and need to be replaced. Either here or on another forum where I asked the same question, somebody posted that they bought the replacement wheel ready for when it wore out -- but that hasn't happened yet. (edit: it was earlier in this thread.)

Last edited:

walshjp17

:)
It doesn't do brad points but it does a great job of turning a brad point into a standard twist bit. I've done that several (yes intentionally).

Carl next time we get together remind me to bring my 750 and have you show me how to useit. II've ruined more bits than I care to admit.

Decided not to hijack the thread.:)

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

It doesn't do brad points but it does a great job of turning a brad point into a standard twist bit. I've done that several (yes intentionally).

Carl next time we get together remind me to bring my 750 and have you show me how to useit. II've ruined more bits than I care to admit.

Sure, not a problem. Bring some of your bits too and we'll get them whipped up into shape.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Duncan, I solved the problem by buying thousands of drill bits. :eek:THe reason CHuck doesnt have one is I offered to give him my DD750 in exchange for him sharpening mine when they needed it. He wisely decided not too. :biggrin:

KenV

Ken....I have the Tormek..... and about 2 years ago.... I upgraded it with the DBS 22 System from tormek.... ( i was using the DD 750 ) The DD 750 was completely awesome.... right up until i sharpened my first bit on the DBS 22 by Tormek.... it was all over for the DD 750...I gave it away :biggrin: And it was and IS still worth the $220 i paid for it... better than professional resharpening results... Like i said earlier... it makes the cheap harbor freight bits Better than the Quality bits you purchase brand new... Now.. dont get me wrong... the DD 750 is an awesome tool for resharpening... but i would never go back to it :)

Troy -- You made my point -- there is a reason the industrial machine trade uses the big cousins to the drill doctor - DD is good, but not as good as is possible with other gear.

Gets to that age old question -- when is it good-nuf?

lorbay

Not really sold on mine yet. I have been shapening drill bits for year by hand so I am pretty good at it, so I find it a bit of a pain to set it up in the Drill Doctor everytime I need a drill sharpened. I might trade it for something soon.

Lin.

duncsuss

Thanks everyone -- I've gone ahead and bought the 750X. I like that they give you both a printed manual and a DVD with video tutorials.

Top Bottom