Drill Chuck Arbor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBone

I have a drill chuck that has a J33 to MT2 arbor. However it will not accept a drawbar and it works it's way loose while drilling sometimes. I would like to buy a new arbor (Little Machine Shop term) with one that will accept a drawbar. Little Machine shop lists two, a long one and a short one. Which one should I buy? Or is there another supplier?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Tommy,
I think I'm missing something in your post.. I use a jacobs chuck for drilling and it fits in the tail stock... since you are applying pressure towards the headstock for drilling, how does it work loose? I do have that problem when I use the jacobs in the head stock when I put my smaller buffing balls or wheels on the lathe. I just watch it and knock it back in place when it spins out.

TBone

Chuck,

If I try to back out sometimes the chuck will pull loose. It happens sometimes as I start drilling. For some reason the taper just doesn't seem to be tight. I think some of it it because it's a keyless model and the head is large and heavy. I haven't had any problems with anything other than the drill chuck, so I don't think it's dirt or anything in the taper. At first I wondered if the drill chuck was the correct taper, but it's marked on the side.

rherrell

Tommy, Enco has some but I can't tell for sure if they're set up for a draw bar. Is this the one you want.. http://tinyurl.com/5jjn7h ...for $9 you can't go wrong.
I'm a bit confused though. I put my drill chuck in the tailstock and you can't use a drawbar if you do that. Are you putting yours in the headstock? If so then a drawbar will work. To be honest, it's never even occured to me to do it that way. What do you put in the tailstock to hold your work:question:

Chuck,

If I try to back out sometimes the chuck will pull loose. It happens sometimes as I start drilling. For some reason the taper just doesn't seem to be tight. I think some of it it because it's a keyless model and the head is large and heavy. I haven't had any problems with anything other than the drill chuck, so I don't think it's dirt or anything in the taper. At first I wondered if the drill chuck was the correct taper, but it's marked on the side.

OK, didn't think about that... yes that sometimes does get to be a problem. As a general rule, I keep a leather glove handy and just hold the chuck as I reverse the tailstock..

I think I have most trouble when the wood is oily or dense and doesn't clear the bit flutes... the drill dust (not proper name) will pack in the flutes and bind the bit...

Phil Joines

MT arbor length

Length depends on your lathe. Most mini's use a short arbor, most full size lathes use the standard length. The shavings are called "swarf".

VisExp

Chuck,

If I try to back out sometimes the chuck will pull loose.

This sometimes happens to me. Normally I find it is because when I inserted the jacobs chuck in the tailstock I had the handwheel rotated to far back and so the jacobs chuck was not seating properly because of the self ejecting feature.

I think if you put a draw bar on the tail stock you would no longer be able to turn the handwheel in order to advance the tail stock.

Top Bottom