drill bits for CSUSA FP kits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan_F

I vaguely recall a thread in which some folks were bemoaning the fact that CSUSA were recommending or providing a drill size that was not quite working with some of their FP kits. I tried to find it again last night, but couldn't, and now can't even remember which of the forums here it was in. When I try even the most basic search, it times out before finding anything. Can anyone either point me to that thread, or adress that topic for me. I'm wanting to get a few kits in the upcoming group buy, but am a little leary based on what I (think) I read. Thanks,

Dan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
BE careful if you are turning resins. That 12.5mm bit is aggressive. HOLD the blank with a good gripping device (PHVise, Bealle collet, something).

DaveM

Do those sizes give room for a good opaque coat of paint, or are they pretty tight? I am going to tackle my first batch of JRs, as soon as I get the drills. I also have a bunch of pretty finicky acrylics in light, translucent colors.

I learned from my Barons, El Grandes, and especially the El Presidente, to get a good grip on my blanks! The worst spinout I had, though, was drilling a Cigar in one of Beartooth's round acrylic blanks. I had one start spinning in the vise, even though it was fairly tight. I decided to tighten the vise a bit more for the next blank, and it cracked and blew apart when the bit grabbed it. Now, I have a half round caul I use when drilling the round blanks to prevent the vise from squeezing the blank in one spot and cracking it. I have made Barons out of the round ones, but I really want to do a Churchill with a round blank for a customer. That blank will be getting really thin while drilling, and I will have almost no tolerance for runout.
Thanks,

Dave

Narwhale

Dan F.,
I only know of one way to determine drill size for each and every pen. I measure the brass tube with a cheap $6 HF digital micrometer, then find a drill that is withing one hundredth or so of the measured diameter.
That way the holes are always the right diameter. [^]
Rich S.

Top Bottom