Drill bit suggestions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KLJ

Would I get more usable bit sizes for pen turning by purchasing a 115 set of standard, letter, and number. Or a standard and metric. The price is about the same either way.
Your opinions and experience appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

You don't need that many different sizes for main group of pens. There some outliers like Majestic's and such. But I primarily use 7mm, 10mm, 10.5mm, and 3/8's.

Reactions: KLJ

darrin1200

I highly recommend one of those large kits for every shop. This kit, a conversion chart and a micrometer are invaluable in my shop.

However, for pen kits, you are still going to need to buy some of those very specific bits. I don't turn kits anymore, but when I did, I always made a little package for the kit that included the drills, the bushings and any extra pieces and parts.

jttheclockman

I do much more than pen turning so I have the standard and letter set and use quite abit. I have the bits that are associated with each kit when I buy a new kit I just add that bit no matter if I have it or not. So I have duplicates of kit bits. If I need a MM bit there is one standard that usually will work. Have not run into a problem yet and if I do I will order just that bit.

monophoto

Agree with Darrin - it's very convenient to have a full set of imperial fractional, numbered, and lettered bits. I bought an inexpensive set that I reserve exclusively for wood and soft metals (aluminum, etc). That way, I minimize the wear and tear on the bits although its a simple matter to tune up a dull bit, and if necessary, replace an individual broken bit. I have a random collection of bits that I use for steel when the need for more agressive drilling arises.

The numbered range in most sets is usually limited. I occasionally have a need for a very fine bit (#65), and so I bought a tube of ten off of Amazon - bits that small tend to break easily, so I have a backup supply.

howsitwork

If you've got the big set then you can generally get "close enough for farm work" to size.

Must admit to having a full set of 1 to 10mm drills in 0.1mm increments that covers most thing but they're for engineering mainly. I use brad point drills or bullet point ones for wood as you get a cleaner entry and exit hole I find. As John and Darrin said you tend to get close and then ,if needed buy better quality bits for ones you use often.

magpens

The 115 bit sets often are of lower quality.

I prefer to have brand name sets. . I have Norseman brand … set of standard, set of metric, set of letter, set of numbered (mostly very small sizes).
I think it was $450 well spent at the time. . Very useful when it comes to tapping, for one thing.

I tend to do a lot of "non-standard" things and for that, the large variety of drill bits is extremely valuable.

Rather than drill the instruction-sheet-recommended hole, I like to measure the tube and select my own drill bit to minimize the hole size that I drill.
That's what I do, altho' I know a lot of people would pooh-pooh that and say it is unnecessary.

The variety gives me flexibility to do unusual things and I have found this flexibility extremely useful, especially in my kitless activities.

You can minimize your $ outlay by buying individual bits as you need them, but who knows when you will need a particular size, or a "slightly-off" size to do a novel project that comes to you in the middle of the night. . On top of that, I think that the ultimate cost of acquiring a complete set through individual purchases would run you (at least) about 3x the price of buying the complete set at the beginning.

1shootist

Rather than drill the instruction-sheet-recommended hole, I like to measure the tube and select my own drill bit to minimize the hole size that I drill.
That's what I do, altho' I know a lot of people would pooh-pooh that and say it is unnecessary.
I measure the tubes aswell. Saves a lot of aggravation of having wobbly tubes if the recommended bit used happens to be a tad too large.

howsitwork

Got to add I do measure the tube as well ( and I thought that I was the only pedantic one here !! ) and select best fit for it. I dread the think what I have invested in drill bits and reamers ( but I can never find the reamer I want without an in depth search ) .

I agree with Mal on buying quality ones for frequent used sizes but it can be handy to have a range of others to " ream the hole to size" having got it close with a quality one. Depends what you intend drilling really and how you see your uses expanding ( as they will ) . Also the depth of your pockets as the best drill in the world will not drill to size in a knackered hand drill or with an out of true chuck holding it.

KenB259

I bought a full set at harbor freight , 115 piece set I think. Anyways don't waste your money I figured if they were dull I could sharpen them what I didn't anticipate though is most of them are far from straight. So I bought another full set of Norsemans and they are great. I think they were just under 200 dollars, but as I've stated here before, I don't mind paying for quality. If you buy Norseman bits, you will not be sorry. I bought the HSS steel ones as I mostly drill wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

darrin1200

It is buyer beware with the sets. I have set from Princess Auto (similar to Harbour Freight) and it is excellent. I have used it for years with now issues.

I decided to by another set, because I wanted a set ground at 118deg and a set at 135deg. When our Sears here in Canada closed, I bought a full set of "Craftsman" drill bits. I figured descent name and good price. When I went to use them yesterday, I found that the U,V,W,X,Y and Z were all the wrong size. Off by more than .020". In fact, the V and the X were both the same wrong size.
I won't throw them out, but I will have to take the time to measure each one and properly identify it.

greenacres2

I've been thinking of a set of of 135 deg imperial. But...lately i've had an itch for metric up to 13 mm by 0.5 mm. Put a set of each in my cart last night--shuddering at the cost. The handful of bits that i'd use the most, if purchased individually, would total at least 2/3 of the cost of the set. It's just the total that has me a bit shy!!
earl

greenacres2

Well...i did it. Norseman imperial sizes, jobber length, by 16th. And a Viking set of metrics to 13mm by 0.5mm. In all my life, especially the last 3 years turning pens...i wish i'd done this sooner. Only got to use about 6 sizes, not only the cut but also the chip clearance is very nice.

Then yesterday i found myself needing a few sizes of forstner bits--a 1 1/16" and 1 9/16". I have a set of Fisch that i picked up from the auction site several years ago, in 1/8" increments--figures!! Ordered the 1 1/16", and was able to use a 1 5/8" as it wasn't as critical. Now thinking about either a 1/16 spaced filler set, or simply buying singles as needed. The 2-6 day delay in singles is killer when needed though. Would be great to be able to be closer on some of the flat bottom recesses for screws and such on occasion--but is the price worth it??
earl

magpens

Forstners .... that's a different ball-game. . I'd say buy singles. . But I know that it sucks to have to wait for the one you need NOW !!

But the sets are usually in 1/8" increments, and what you usually need is a 1/16" size ... so that sucks too ... you can't win !

greenacres2

I hear you Mal. Single on the 1 1/16" ordered last night will be here this afternoon. Peachtree USA sent an e-mail this morning with 10% off site-wide for President's Day (USA) today--and free shipping. Ordered a set to 2 1/8" by 16ths for $117 total--their stuff seems to normally be okay, and i can back-fill sizes that i end up using often. Small town, 15 years ago i could have picked one up today. Could have ordered one for pick-up at the local Ace Hardware--but a 3-5 time-frame to get.

Wish i could get an online haircut--amazing how long i wait to get the ring around my head trimmed!! (but they make up for it on my eye-brows!!)
earl

Willee

I drill on the lathe and find that a slightly undersized drill gives the best results.
For a 7mm tube I use a 6.9mm and file with a small round file if needed.
On some woods I will drop down as much as 7.8mm to get that nice snug fit.

Top Bottom