Drill bit set for penturners

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

PenTurnerJohn

Does anyone sell a drill bit set for pen turners? That is, with all the odd sizes we need to drill blanks for various barrel sizes? From what I've been reading a person needs to buy sets in inches, letters and metric sizes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mrcook4570

The 115 pc set (sold many places, but cheap from HF) includes almost all that I ever use. It does not have metric, but J works for 7mm, O for 8mm, and 25/64 for 10mm. The only bits outside this set that I use are over 1/2"

Rifleman1776

Is this where I get to repeat my rant about weird drill bit sizes? [:0]
If someone marketed a set of drill bits specifically for all the various kits being sold today, you can bet the next new kit would require one or two bit sizes not included in the set. [:p][;)]

tnilmerl

You betcha. I got a box full of numbered bits used by discontinued pen kits. The designers of some of the newer kits were smart enough to use common bits sizes (Atlas/Polaris uses 3/8"). But some are oddball. Hated the El Grande. Uses a 31/64" and a 33/64". Nobody had the 33/64 when the El Grande (and now the Churchill) came on the market. Finally found a 33/64" at machine shop. Then the damn thing would not chuck up in the drill press. Chuck would only open to 1/2". Ended up drilling with 1/2" and reaming out blank so tube would fit. If you think that is bad, take a look at Craft USA's Emperor Pen. Ii uses a 37/64" and a 15/32". Errgggg!!! [}:)]. So, manufacturer will continue to design pens irregardless of 'common' drill sizes. I've not see a pen manufacturer design a pen around a totally tube to demanded a custom drill size. So, if someone sold a set with all the standard sizes up to 1 inch, plus all the letter sizes, plus all the metric sizes, all carbide, that would chuck in 1/2" drill press, for less that $50, I'd buy two [:D]. That's the only way to insure you had all the bit sizes for all old, current, and new pen kits.

Dario

I'll also vote for the 115 pc HF drill bit set. I have one but haven't used it yet [:D]. I am still using the bits I bought from CSUSA, Arizona Silhouette, and my DeWalt drill bit set.

Randy_

Originally posted by PenTurnerJohn
<br />Does anyone sell a drill bit set for pen turners? That is, with all the odd sizes we need to drill blanks for various barrel sizes? From what I've been reading a person needs to buy sets in inches, letters and metric sizes.

Wouldn't hurt to have a set of wire gage(number) bits as well!![:D]

I've wasted a few dollars on cheap drill bit sets that were OK on wood but wouldn't work at all on metal...soft steel that wouldn't hold an edge and weak to the point where they would break easily....and some were poorly sharpened right out of the box. I have seen a few good comments about the HF 115 bit set; but have been reluctant to buy a set for fear of getting a junker. Anybody have trouble with that set or is everyone well satisfied?? [:D]

jjenk02

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />Is this where I get to repeat my rant about weird drill bit sizes? [:0]
If someone marketed a set of drill bits specifically for all the various kits being sold today, you can bet the next new kit would require one or two bit sizes not included in the set. [:p][;)]

I agree[:(!]

Which 115 piece set from Harbor Freight are you guys talking about? They have three right now. I've been watching their cobalt set for a while and it is on sale right now down from $99.99 to $79.99. Anyone have any comments on the cobalt set or know if they are solid cobalt (versus cobalt coated)? They don't seem to know. I've called twice and asked. I don't want to end up with something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Tool-YT115CD-115-Piece-Cobalt/dp/B00006F704/sr=8-2/qid=1159980881/ref=sr_1_2/002-5143196-5703219?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Todd

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Pipes
<br />If you got the HF set and a Drill Dr to keepem sharp I think IMO its all you will ever need !

http://affordablepipes.com/
True for the most part bu there are kits that have bits larger than 1/2" which is pretty much the standard size for hobby use drill indexes.
I imiagine the cost of bits larger than 1/2" is expensive due to the machining of the 1/2 shank.
Most home owners(unless the have a drill press) are limited ti bits with a 3/8th's inch shank.The max size of the average Jacobs chuck in a hand drill.
(I do have a Ryobi cordless drill with a 1/2" chuck.)

Paul in OKC

The HF drill bits are cheap steel, unless they say cobalt. Cobal is not a coating, is is a small percent on the steel in the bit. they are better. I sharpened a couple of bits that were from HF and the metal kind of rolled on the back side, that is fairly soft in my opinion for drill bits. Good for light duty, and probably fine for wood and plastics, but I don't think they will hold an edge long.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Paul in OKC
<br />The HF drill bits are cheap steel, unless they say cobalt. Cobal is not a coating, is is a small percent on the steel in the bit. they are better. I sharpened a couple of bits that were from HF and the metal kind of rolled on the back side, that is fairly soft in my opinion for drill bits. Good for light duty, and probably fine for wood and plastics, but I don't think they will hold an edge long.
They don't have to hold an edge long.
It's only wood and I sharpen mine before I Drill my plastic blanks(and turn them into split bits if I haven't already)[:D]

Paul,

I agree with you about cobalt and "coating". I even went further and tried to find out what percent cobalt the alloy is but they had no idea. If you look at the Amazon link that is in my last post they are selling what they call "cobalt coated" bits and the customer reviews are terrible. Its very misleading. I've also seen this same set described as a cobalt set without the coated part on eBay. I just want to make sure I'm not getting something like that from Harbor Freight. Here is the set that I am talking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47653

I actually ordered this set this morning and will post an update when I get them. They will be going right back if they are not a true set of cobalt drills.

Todd

Paul in OKC

Originally posted by godfreytoddanderson
<br />Paul,

I agree with you about cobalt and "coating". I even went further and tried to find out what percent cobalt the alloy is but they had no idea. If you look at the Amazon link that is in my last post they are selling what they call "cobalt coated" bits and the customer reviews are terrible. Its very misleading. I've also seen this same set described as a cobalt set without the coated part on eBay. I just want to make sure I'm not getting something like that from Harbor Freight. Here is the set that I am talking about.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47653

I actually ordered this set this morning and will post an update when I get them. They will be going right back if they are not a true set of cobalt drills.

Todd

For the price, I would say that these may be good (or decent) ones.
Eagle, I agree, they only need to stay sharp for a bit =8^). The ones I sharpened were the 'Titanium', or gold coated. Not worth much on cheap steel bits. I am going to see what it would cost to put together a drill bit pack that includes one of each of the bits for pen making, at least for what I know about, not including any step bits. The list I have has 23 different sizes on it. Hope to have that info in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom