Dremel vs Fordom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nick

Folks, could you share your opinion as to using a Dremel or Fordom tool.
I ordered a PW and it was shipped on Friday.
Thanks in advance for any info provided, it is very much appreciated.
Nick
Lakewood, WA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

btboone

I use Foredoms a lot. I have 3 work stations with 3 of them at each so I don't have to trade out tools so much when making rings. I also have 2 Dremels that I use for rubber abrasives. The Foredoms have great control with the lighter handpiece and foot control. The Dremel is good for all out speed, but a slight tradeoff in control.

marcruby

I have both. The foredom has a variety of handsets and bits available plus a lot of power. The Dremel is fine for light duty and fine work and has a considerable cost advantage. You aren't going to regret starting out with a dremel and you may find the foredom inconvenient if you prefer to bring the tool to the work instead of the work to the tool.

Marc

Jackosbo

Being primarily a wood carver, I have a couple of Foredoms and Dremels. Use them both... the Foredom for heavy work then move to the dremel for lighter duty. All are shaft tools and I attached theDremels to foot pedal.

Texatdurango

Nick, If you have neither a Dremel or a Foredom, after a short bout playing with both, I would recommend a Foredom for the simple reason that it can use all the bits the smaller Dremel can plus any 1/4" shaft bits you wish to use.

The Foredom is more expensive but considering what you get, is worth the money.

I decided the best set for me was the #5240 which has the handset the wizard's adapter is made for and the best price I found while shopping for mine was at http://www.woodcarvers.com/5240kit.htm

Of course, in a perfect world a shop would have at least a couple Dremels AND a Foredom setup. :wink:

KenV

I have done business with Smokey Mountain Wood Carvers on an off for a number of years.

The foredom has the power to keep on running. I have burned out more than a few dremels and trashed the bearings on a couple -- The Foredom does require lubrication of the flex shaft, and some occasional maintenance, but is the long term production gear short of the big bucks for CNC milling.

While you are getting the Foredom, don't pass up the opportunity to get the reciprocating carver handpiece for carving your turned items -- Just a nudge to push you down the slippery slope to more good tools.......

Bob Hewson

I have used my Foredom type (actually large Dremel) plus small Dremel, but prefer my B&D RTX. As noted elsewhere I also control all three using my Foredom type foot pedal.

Also burned out a couple, 1 Dremel because I forgot the foot pedal and went zero to full speed instantly and snapped something.

Bob

Jim Smith

Nick,

I also have both tools and I prefer the Foredom for both power and ease of use. If you don't mind buying used tools you can get one either on Craig's list or Ebay for a fair price. I bought my first Foredom for $40 for the complete setup and my second one for $10 for just the motor in like-new condition. I suggest you look around a bit and you'll find some good deals especially in today's depressed market. Just a thought...

Jim Smith

titan2

Foredom Hand Piece

For those of you that uses the Foredom.......what hand piece are you using with the Pen Wizard?

Is it the 44T that fits the Wizard?

TIA,

Barney

Top Bottom