Drawbar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

A recent discussion suggested that it might be useful to provide some general information on drawbars.

Essentially, a drawbar is a safety device that is used to draw male morse taper fixings into the female tapered throat of a lathe headstock spindle, and retain those tapers so that they don't inadvertently come out as the lathe spins. Drawbars are always recommended when using a morse taper without the tailstock providing additional restraining support at the other end of the spindle. One end of the drawbar screws into a female thread in the small end of the morse taper, while the other end is held in place with a nut that is snugged up against the handwheel, drawing the taper into the headstock spindle. The most common example might be if a Jacobs (drill) chuck is mounted in the headstock for drilling.

Drawbars are most easily shop-made although presumably one could purchase one. Essentially, a drawbar consists of a length of threaded rod (ordinary hardware store all-thread rod is fine), and a nut of some sort to secure the outboard end of the drawbar to the handwheel on the left side of the headstock. Before making a drawbar, check the dimensions of the threads on your tapers to make sure that you are using the proper rod. That said, it is typically the case that MT2 tapers are designed to receive 3/8"-16 threads, while the lathe headstock bore can accommodate a 3/8" diameter rod. Mini-lathes with MT1 tapers usually receive 1/4"x20 threads.

This sketch illustrates the components:
1632338099454.png

The nut that holds the drawbar on the outboard side of the headstock is turned from two scraps of wood. There should be a cavity in one piece to hold a nut of the appropriate diameter and threading. Alternatively, it is possible to use a T-nut or a threaded insert. Make the nut as plain or fancy as you wish.

I generally put a piece of heat-shrink tubing over my drawbar, leaving about 1/2" of rod exposed at the morse taper end. That prevents the sharp edges of the threads from abrading the inside of the headstock bore when the rod is inserted or withdrawn. The tubing should be slightly shorter than the length of the bore so that it doesn't interfere with the nut.

Leaving sharp edges on the left end of the drawbar is dangerous - DAMHIKT. As a minimum, file or grind the left end to form a smooth ball. Alternatively, I have turned a rounded cap from a scrap of HDPE that threads onto the end. Your left hand with thank you!

When using a drawbar, be aware that it will pull the male morse taper into the female taper on the lathe spindle rather snugly, and removing the taper usually requires gently tapping the rounded end of the drawbar with a mallet.

Bats

I was thinking of adding a longer writeup to my post in the other thread, but you just did a far more thorough job than I would have - thanks.

A couple quick additions, though:

First, before you start picking out parts for your shiny new drawbar, check your taper to make sure it has a threaded hole in the back end. If it has a protruding tang or just a flat back, this isn't going to work and you'll have to find a way to use a different taper (this shouldn't be seen as an excuse to say "well, I'll just get by without one" - any time you're using a morse taper in the headstock, it should always be held in place either by a center in the tailstock, or by a drawbar, even if it involves more effort/expense).

Drawbars are most easily shop-made although presumably one could purchase one.
Just to clarify, this should be understood to refer primarily to Morse taper (MT1, MT2, MT3, etc) drawbars (which is fine, because that's what most wood turners are dealing with). There are other flavors, like drawbars for the externally-threaded 5C workholding collet (which kitless turners with metal lathes might've run into with), which can be a little more challenging.

The nut that holds the drawbar on the outboard side of the headstock is turned from two scraps of wood. There should be a cavity in one piece to hold a nut of the appropriate diameter and threading. Alternatively, it is possible to use a T-nut or a threaded insert.
I tend to be lazy when it comes to these things - time I spend turning a drawbar nut is time I can't spend turning pens - and, since I was at the hardware store picking up the threaded rod anyhow, I just grabbed a plastic knob w/metal threaded insert (kinda like this one, but cheaper) from the parts bins.

When using a drawbar, be aware that it will pull the male morse taper into the female taper on the lathe spindle rather snugly, and removing the taper usually requires gently tapping the rounded end of the drawbar with a mallet.
I generally just the end a whack with a 2x4, or whatever other chunk of wood is handy. Did I mention "lazy"? (I also don't really have enough space between headstock and wall to swing a mallet)

Roly

Thank you all for this information because now I have a working draw bar. I could never work out what the inner thread was but standard threaded rod from the hardware store worked. What a difference to the safety and convenience aspect of using morse tpers.

Top Bottom