Drawbar Collet Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

ER32 collets have a very small usable range. Do drawbar collets have a larger range? I see most offered in a 7 piece set.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dieseldoc

Ken: What I use is a ER-40 draw bar set up with number 2 MT size to one inch. Started with the ER-32 from 1/16 to 13/16 so I have it covered.
You can got to Little Machineshop .com and buy the MT 2 collet chuck and buy what size collets you need.

KenB259

Ken: What I use is a ER-40 draw bar set up with number 2 MT size to one inch. Started with the ER-32 from 1/16 to 13/16 so I have it covered.
You can got to Little Machineshop .com and buy the MT 2 collet chuck and buy what size collets you need.
Thanks Charlie, the ones I'm asking about don't require a chuck, they just slide in the Morse taper and you tighten them with a drawbar.

Curly

Morse taper collets do not have the total range ER32 collets do. The MT2 set of seven cover 1/8" to 1/2" in 1/16" increments. The ER32s go up to about 3/4" with some extras going a little larger. The metric ER32 collets cover the full range better. The MT collets are handy on lathes with short beds since they don't stick out much past the spindle nose. An ER chuck of one sort or other takes up several inches of bed length. If the size range covers your needs the MT collets are a cheaper option. It is best not to try to hold something at the maximum or minimum of that particular collets grip size of any series.

Oliver X

ER collets have the greatest crush range of any relevant system at around .040 inches. Most drawbar collets have very small crush ranges on the order of .003 to .005 inches. The sets are usually fine for most people because they're typically designed for tool holding and tools are typically standard sizes. (ER collets were designed for tool holding also which is why they need the work buried in the collet to work properly.) For work holding on a wood lathe, ER 32 or ER40 is probably the way to go and I'd bite the bullet and buy high quality, metric collets to cover the ranges I need.

Now, if I had a metal lathe of sufficient size, I'd go 5C with a lever closer. They have a small crush range and the collets aren't cheap, but they are designed for work holding, are very accurate and with a lever closer, they're fast.

egnald

MT2 taper collets just didn't offer the flexibility in sizes I wanted - at the price I wanted, so a while back I bought a standard ER32 collet set along with a MT2 holder. I made my own drawbar using threaded rod, some washers, and a knob. The set went from 1/8 up to 3/4-inch. Then I bought two oversized collets to go along with it, one 13/16 and one 7/8. For anything bigger I have a couple of Nova Chucks with various sets of jaws. So far I have been very happy with the arrangement. - Dave

Top Bottom