Dragon's Lair Custom

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Robert111

Robert111

This is another Brooks blank, my third pen from a Brooks blank in just over a week. I'm definitely hooked. I'd mentioned to Jonathon that I didn't think alumilite was polishing up as well as acrylic and he suggested buffing as a final step. Jonathon was right. This one shows it.

Like the last two, this pen is short, just 5 inches, and has a cartridge or converter filling system.

Thanks for looking. I'm always happy to answer questions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Dragon's Lair 001 (Small).JPG
    Dragon's Lair 001 (Small).JPG
    70.8 KB · Views: 4,992
  • Dragon's Lair 004 (Small).JPG
    Dragon's Lair 004 (Small).JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 4,984
  • Dragon's Lair 005 (Small).JPG
    Dragon's Lair 005 (Small).JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 4,980
  • Dragon's Lair 008 (Small).JPG
    Dragon's Lair 008 (Small).JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 4,984
  • Dragon's Lair 017 (Small).JPG
    Dragon's Lair 017 (Small).JPG
    65 KB · Views: 4,975
  • Dragon's Lair 022 (Small).JPG
    Dragon's Lair 022 (Small).JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 4,930

OZturner

Wow, Robert.
Where are my Sun Glasses, that Shine is blinding.
A Beautiful Blank, crafted to Perfection.
As johncrane said "Awesome"
Congratulations,
Brian.

Robert111

Awesome! I love the color blend.

What size threading did you go on this one?

The cap/barrel threads are 15x1 and the section/barrel threads are 11x1, as are the cap/finial threads.

could you tell us what Brook blank that is? thanks

I don't think he has a name for it. It was part of a swap we did. Probably a one-of-a-kind. You could ask him though--he might make more.

Robert111

Really nice pen. Awesome blank and you did it proud.

Beautiful pen.

The colors are Awesome Robert.great job on the pen.

Wow, Robert.
Where are my Sun Glasses, that Shine is blinding.
A Beautiful Blank, crafted to Perfection.
As johncrane said "Awesome"
Congratulations,
Brian.

Another nicey Robert. :biggrin:

Awesome job Robert. That blank is gorgeous and you did it proud.

love the blank it really makes that pen pop.

Thank you, one and all.

Brooks803

Wow that looks amazing Robert!!! Wait....3rd blank this week??? I've only seen 2! You're holding out on us :tongue::biggrin:

The buffing really did bring out a super shiny finish. Love the section/finial color choice. Very fitting!

could you tell us what Brook blank that is? thanks

That one is just a random "Lets see what this'll look like" blank. However, it's very similar to one I call Primary Manipulation. I bet if Roberts pen was help up to a light it'd show many many colors that you don't see in the pics.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

I selected this pen for the front page because not only is it a beautiful piece of work and an excellent photo, but also because Robert is always willing to share his methods and answer questions.

So, THANKS, Robert!

reiddog1

Wow Robert. Beautifully turned. Jonathon's blank combined + skillfully turned = front page material indeed. Great job by all!!!! What's the trick to getting the threads sanded and buffed so well? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Robert111

Wow Robert. Beautifully turned. Jonathon's blank combined + skillfully turned = front page material indeed. Great job by all!!!! What's the trick to getting the threads sanded and buffed so well? Thanks in advance.

Dave

Thanks, Dave. No trick. The threads are just cut with a good sharp die. I do always try to size the tenon carefully so that the major diameter is is exactly .20mm less than the nominal size of the die--in this case 14.8 tenon and a 15x1 die.

Then I don't touch the threads when I polish. I think you need to examine the threads you're cutting under magnification. Well cut threads look really sharp and well defined all the way to the bottom (minor diameter).

Robert111

Looks great on the front page :biggrin:

I selected this pen for the front page because not only is it a beautiful piece of work and an excellent photo, but also because Robert is always willing to share his methods and answer questions.

So, THANKS, Robert!

And thank YOU Jeff. I learned so much about pen making from this community at IAP. It's always a pleasure to answer questions.

reiddog1

Dave

Thanks, Dave. No trick. The threads are just cut with a good sharp die. I do always try to size the tenon carefully so that the major diameter is is exactly .20mm less than the nominal size of the die--in this case 14.8 tenon and a 15x1 die.

Then I don't touch the threads when I polish. I think you need to examine the threads you're cutting under magnification. Well cut threads look really sharp and well defined all the way to the bottom (minor diameter).

Do you sand and polish the tendon before you thread. Waiting on a package with my taps and dies to try kitless. Feel free to share any lessons learned. Congrats again on the pen and front page!!

Dave

Robert111

Dave

Do you sand and polish the tendon before you thread. Waiting on a package with my taps and dies to try kitless. Feel free to share any lessons learned. Congrats again on the pen and front page!!

Dave

You know, as a matter of fact I do, and I often wonder why. I really don't think it has any effect.

However, on some tenons, I cut a shallow groove about 3mm wide and as deep as the minor diameter. Part of the reason is to get rid of the fillet where the shoulder and tenon meet. You may notice that sometimes a die just can't seem to cut a thread right up to a shoulder. Then whatever screws onto the tenon won't screw tight to the shoulder.

Creating this groove in front of the shoulder (or alternatively killing some threads at the lip of the part to be screwed on) allows the parts to screw together completely without getting tight right at the end.

So in that case, polishing that conspicuous groove where the threads have been cut away is definitely necessary.

Perhaps this is information overload for you at this point. Print it and put it way for the day you make some pen parts. ; ))

RonRoss

Great Looking Pen

Beautiful Pen Robert. I LUV Jonathans blanks, used a lot of them and they always turn out great.

This is another Brooks blank, my third pen from a Brooks blank in just over a week. I'm definitely hooked. I'd mentioned to Jonathon that I didn't think alumilite was polishing up as well as acrylic and he suggested buffing as a final step. Jonathon was right. This one shows it.

Like the last two, this pen is short, just 5 inches, and has a cartridge or converter filling system.

Thanks for looking. I'm always happy to answer questions.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Top Bottom