Dragon Duo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

I did three color aluminum honeycomb casts with the idea of matching the colors to the antique copper and antique pewter dragon kits. I backpainted the blanks with chrome paint before gluing up the tubes. I planned on entering one of the two in the casting Contest but had trouble deciding which one to enter. I finally opted for the antique copper pen. While it placed third, I am still debating my choice.

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

IMG_2207.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

budnder

I really like the pewter one. I think the match is so close on the copper that the hardware kinda blends together and there isn't enough contrast to appreciate the separate elements. Both are great, though.

magpens

Those are beautiful, Cody !!!!!

You seem to have mastered the art of making the honeycomb blanks in such a way that the brass tube "show through" is not problematic.

If I am right, there seems to be a little "show through" but it seems to be a delightful feature of your blanks on these dragons !!!!

I love the look of them !!!!

Cwalker935

Nice! Did you have problems of resin delaminating from aluminum?

I etch the aluminum with Krud Kutter etching solution and cast in alumilite and that seems to help but yes you can have issues with the resin delaminating particularly when you have a partial cell. Keep tools very sharp and take light cuts.

yaroslaw

Nice! Did you have problems of resin delaminating from aluminum?

I etch the aluminum with Krud Kutter etching solution and cast in alumilite and that seems to help but yes you can have issues with the resin delaminating particularly when you have a partial cell. Keep tools very sharp and take light cuts.

I've never worked with aluminum hexagonal castings because all my knife-making friends were pissed as hell to this material from almost any blank maker.

Thanks for clues!

Top Bottom