Dr Woodshop

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edicehouse

It seems the other day I was in Woodcraft and I saw Dr Woodshop finish. Is there a way Mike can do a demo on it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jcm71

He has a video demo on his web site, Ed. I've referred to it a couple of times. If you haven't already, take a look at Dan's and Mike's (mikespenturningz) posts on it.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I was asked about this product at the Indianapolis meeting and, with some investigation on the net, I believe that this is a solution very, very similar to the Hut shellac and wax solution. There are several available probably the most recognized is Shellawax. These give a nice finish and a sweet glow and do all of this quickly without toxic fumes. The problem I have experienced is that the finish does not hold up well. I have looked at the MSDS and, though there are some subtle differences, they are all the same when it comes to a wax, usually carnuba, and shellac mix. The oils and moisture of human skin will cause the finish to dull and begin to look dirty after a short time...wax does not repel moisture ie. water rings on waxed furniture from moist glasses. There is a simple solution to the draw back, don't use the pen; I suppose you could let the dog use it, their hands don't sweat.
Thees are my findings, your results may vary.
WB

Maybe this will be another product we can add to our May 9th favorite finish meeting? If any locals are interested, we are trying to show as many finish options as possible...

BKelley

Hi,
Uninvited, I'll add my 2 cents worth. Some time back I did a Dr. Woodshop demo for our local IAP meeting. After the demo I was ask how does this finish hold up, my answer was I don't know, take the pen use it carry it and bring it back to the next meeting. After about 2 months of daily carry the pen looked great. My suggestion is to try the Dr. Wood Shop finish, but don't condemn it till you try it. I don't know what the stuff has in it as compared to other friction polishes. What I do know is that it works well for me.

Top Bottom