Down Under Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from plantman

plantman

I have been eagerly watching my mailbox for a package from George (robutacion), from South Australia, that contained some Australian Banksia Hairy Pods that he had made into pen blanks. All I could say was WOW!! when I opened up the package. I didn't feel I had a kit on hand fitting enough for one of these blanks, but I couldn't wait to get one turned. I chose the Rockler Gold Spirit pen kit because it has a 3/4 inch end cap on one end, and I didn't want to turn any more of this beautiful blank than I had to. As I usualy do, I reversed the end caps and tubes to make the pen more balanced and also be able to use the wide short barrel as a stand up holder. George warned me that these were going to take some careful turning and CA to turn out properly. I turned these on my Mini Metal lathe and did some reshaping of my cutting tip. All went quite well with little filling needed. I finished the blank with 4 coats of thick CA to seal and cover any raw material that was on the surface, sanded to 1200 and polished with One-Step plastic polish. You realy have to hold this pen in your hand to take in all the details that are present in this blank. Thank you George for the fantastic blanks. From Up Over, Jim S

Attachments

• DSCF0001 (2) (800x562).jpg
    DSCF0001 (2) (800x562).jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCF0005 (282x800).jpg
    DSCF0005 (282x800).jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 223
  • DSCF0006 (374x800).jpg
    DSCF0006 (374x800).jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCF0007 (310x800).jpg
    DSCF0007 (310x800).jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

Absolute Beauty, Jim.
The Hairy Banksia Pod Blank, from George, and your chosen Rockler Gold Spirit Pen Kit, are in Perfect Harmony.
Your Fit and Finish adds to the Perfection.
Congratulations Jim, and George.
Brian.

Yes I also agree. That blank is the perfect match for that blank. It really shows the features like no other components could have done. Also the turning was done not to lines but to showcase what you had your moving of the ends to make the pen what you wanted it to be is awesome. WOW SWEET and as always very nice indeed...

Last edited:

robutacion

Hi Jim,

Stunning pen mate...!

I have had a few people that purchased some of those blanks asking me what kit would better suit the blank, and my answers has always been, "the biggest you can find...!"

Is obvious to see why, there is an enormous amount of material and details on those blanks, putting it in a Slimline, you would lose 70% of what makes the blanks unique so, the bigger and longer tube you use the better it will show all parts of the pod...!

Your decision and craftsmanship is outstanding, congrats...!

Cheers
George

plantman

Hi Jim,

Stunning pen mate...!

I have had a few people that purchased some of those blanks asking me what kit would better suit the blank, and my answers has always been, "the biggest you can find...!"

Is obvious to see why, there is an enormous amount of material and details on those blanks, putting it in a Slimline, you would lose 70% of what makes the blanks unique so, the bigger and longer tube you use the better it will show all parts of the pod...!

Your decision and craftsmanship is outstanding, congrats...!

Cheers
George

Thanks George !! Not only did I want the largest pen kit I could find, but the one with the thinest and least amount of metal in the fittings, so as not to take away any of the beauty of the blank. I picked this blank to turn for the first because it appeared the less attractive of the group, so you can imagine what the rest of the group will look like when I find the proper kits for them. Thanks again George for the fantastic blanks and craftsmanship on making these blanks. Jim S

robutacion

Awesome looking pen!!! JUst love it!!

Hi Tony,

I've thought of this another day when I saw that from your comments, you seem to like the effect of the Hairy Banksia blanks and I wonder, you being the "Queen" of the clay, could you come up with a cane/barrel(s) that can produce the average look of what we see on these blanks where they are made into a pen...???

You will not have any problem from me, by creating an identical look product, is going to be a time where I won't have any pods left to work with or, be around to make them so, go for your life, I would like to see what you can do, if that is something that you will be interested in...!:)

Cheers
George

Top Bottom