Down for a bit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hello all
Was working on some Freedom pens today when the tail stock on my HF lathe (10x18) started becoming hard to turn. I think something inside may have sheared because I can no longer retract the quill.
Anyone have any ideas on a fix?

Thank you

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hello All,
Am happy to report I have been able to fix my issue.
I dis-assembled the tailstock, cleaned everything well and am back in business.
I found a video from Ed at ExoticBlanks that pointed me in the right direction.

Thank you

cseymour

Hello Paul,
I am not quite sure. After I had posted the message above, I stumbled across a video from Ed at Exotic blanks.
When I saw the way his tail stock came apart, I tried the same with mine. In his video, the parts just slid out when he took the hand wheel off.
I had to give mine a few raps with a mallet and then they came out. I cleaned them with DNA, then took a piece of sandpaper on a dowel and cleaned out the casting of the tail stock. It took a few times but finally the pieces would slide in and out as in the video. I then re-assembled and all seems ok again. It is only a guess but I am thinking there could have been some finishing residues on the quill and over time just sort of gummed up. Again, just a guess but at least I can get back to turning.

Thank you

Chris

cseymour

Hello @Woodchipper,
I did not -- but that sounds like a great idea -- i am going to do that later this week.
Will take apart again clean then lube the quill.

Thank you for the great suggestion

Cheers.

Chris

Top Bottom