Dovetail stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jimskio

jimskio

Well a good while back I made a pen connecting two pieces of wood with dovetails, so I decided to see how a stopper would turn out. All though I now know maybe I should not make the end so pointed how do you think it turned out? Seems that my girlfriend likes it so I guess all is good.

jimskio

Attachments

• P1200278.jpg
    P1200278.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 397
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greggas

I like it Jim. Very original...clever to use a tool that many of us look at every day but have never thought of using on a stopper. Must admit you know have me thing of using this approach for a segmented bowl...thanks for the brainstorm

jdmacdo

One of the presenters at Totally Turning (www.totallyturning.com) is John Franklin and he has been experimenting with dovetails in turned items for a while (see the botom of the page http://www.woodworker.org/browse.php?gallery=franklinj&page=1 for examples of his dovetail work).

If anyone is interested in seeing some of the big names of turning (including Kurt Hertzog of the Pen Makers Guild), you may want to spend the weekend of March 26-27 in Saratoga Springs, NY. I used to be a member of the Northeastern Woodworkers Association who run the show, and they put on one heck of a good show...

ctubbs

Great job! The dovetails are excellent and the point is perfect. That will help keep you sober. One quick slap of the stopper should sober up just about anyone.:eek::biggrin::wink:
Charles

robutacion

Certainly, a very "visually catching" stopper..!

Great workmanship on the dovetail work and a pleasant design, only one thing that I never agree with, there is, pointed bottle stoppers, something that just doesn't do it for me, after all, these things are often used and the traditional and the most effective/used way of inserting a bottle stopper in a bottle's neck is to manually seat the stopper on the bottle's throat vertically and then execute the "magic" sealing technique, which is "smack" the stoppers "head" with the palm of your hand, this is the most effective way to seal the bottle, now try to do this with a pointed/sharp bottle stopper "head"/end...!:eek::frown::)

Cheers
George

jimskio

Thanks for all the comments. I think it may be the end of the pointed end for my stoppers!
The dovetail vase in John Franklin's gallery looks nice. Maybe one day I will be able to do something like that.

jimskio

Top Bottom