Douglas Fir finishing question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jayman72

Hey All,

I have been asked by a customer to produce a couple of pens from some Douglas fir that he planted in his parents yard when he was nine years old.

The limbs that he sent me have been cut for over three years and the biggest one is less than an inch across so I know they're dry and my moisture meter verifies this. When I pulled these out of the box there was Pinesap all over all three of the pieces. I turned one today and it feels fine (not sticky) but it still smells like pine tar.

I normally finish my pens with CA glue and my question is, should I rub Naptha on my Blanks prior to doing the CA to avoid any adhesion issues or would I be better to do something like Odies?

I prefer CA on pens as it seals the wood from oils and dirt on your hands but I don't want the sap that I believe is still present in the blank to give me issues down the road.

Appreciate the feedback.
Jay

crokett

I don't know. if you have enough for a test piece turn some down and experiment with finishing. I would expect that the CA is a pretty good sealant and would keep any sap in the wood from getting through it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you are worried about the sap possibly coming through, this is usually cured by baking in the oven at 160-170° for an hour or so.

There are other sites that give additional information.

Search for: "How to stop pitch or sap from coming out of lumber". Heating it crystalizes it and that stops it. You don't want it much higher or longer of it can color the wood somewhat. But, sometimes that gives it a great tone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom