Double sided tape

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dvoigt

So I bought a roll of this tape years ago, I thought I bought it from Home Depot and I believe it was "carpet tape". But I can't find it there now.
This tape was great, I could tear in by hand and it had very good adhesion. I bought a couple other carpet tapes and they all suck by comparison.

So what is everyone else using?

Thanks,
Derek

Attachments

• 5D573A56-662E-4932-8712-F950D2EDEC96.jpeg
    5D573A56-662E-4932-8712-F950D2EDEC96.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 145
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

The books say that you should never use 'carpet tape', but rather should use only fit-for-purpose turning tape. I don't agree.

In one of his videos many years ago, Captain Eddy recommended Shurtape brand carpet tape. I bought a couple of rolls at Lowes - the first time it was on one of those 'appendage racks' added to the end of row in the floor covering department, but the next time I found it in with the other tapes and adhesives in the paint department. Of course Lowes is like the supermarket - they move things around weekly so that you can never find what you are looking for - that way you are more likely to see something you didn't know you need until you actually see it. Unfortunately, the other issue at Lowes is that no one who works there knows where anything is, so you are on your own to search for whatever you are looking for.

Shurtape is a fabric tape with a removable blue film to protect the adhesive on the back side of the tape. The fact that it is fabric means that the tape itself is somewhat compressable which means that it can more readily conform to the irregular surfaces of the glue block and workpiece. The adhesive is very sticky, especially if the taped joint is compressed for a few minutes. Also, fabric is resilient and can withstand catches without breaking the bond. Yes, I get catches from time to time.

I found a roll of double-stick tape at a discount store (kinda like a dollar store but larger) that looks a lot like Shurtape, but with one very important difference. With Shurtape, all that is necessary to remove the film from the back of the tape is to snag near a corner with a knife and lift the film. With the stuff from the discount store, getting the film off is very difficult. It was cheaper, but cheaper isn't always better.

its_virgil

In one of his videos many years ago, Captain Eddy recommended Shurtape brand carpet tape. I bought a couple of rolls at Lowes - the first time it was on one of those 'appendage racks' added to the end of row in the floor covering department, but the next time I found it in with the other tapes and adhesives in the paint department.

I use Shurtape and it works great.

EricRN

I buy some no-name stuff from Taytools, but love it. Good price. Made in USA. Uses rubber gum as the adhesive, which is pressure sensitive. Backing peels off easily, gives a super-strong grip (routinely use it to hold down boards while planing both by hand and on the planer), and doesn't leave the faintest trace of residue behind.

jttheclockman

I use double sided tape alot. If I need tape that is basically impossible to come apart I use outdoor weather double tape and can be found in the flooring section at Home Depot. It is a fiber reinforced tape that is designed to hold down outdoor carpets and mats. Works real well. But for all other woodworking uses I use turners tape that I get at Peachtree Woodworking Supplies. Have used it for many years and love it. It is thin enough to not interfere with dimensions when cutting lumber or blanks.

https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_jigs_double_sided_tape.htm

Dvoigt

I buy some no-name stuff from Taytools, but love it. Good price. Made in USA. Uses rubber gum as the adhesive, which is pressure sensitive. Backing peels off easily, gives a super-strong grip (routinely use it to hold down boards while planing both by hand and on the planer), and doesn't leave the faintest trace of residue behind.
Sounds similar to this tape. I would use it in my planer too

Dvoigt

I use double sided tape alot. If I need tape that is basically impossible to come apart I use outdoor weather double tape and can be found in the flooring section at Home Depot. It is a fiber reinforced tape that is designed to hold down outdoor carpets and mats. Works real well. But for all other woodworking uses I use turners tape that I get at Peachtree Woodworking Supplies. Have used it for many years and love it. It is thin enough to not interfere with dimensions when cutting lumber or blanks.

https://www.ptreeusa.com/rtr_jigs_double_sided_tape.htm
One of the tapes I tried was the heavy duty fiber reinforced (but I don't think it was outdoor) and I was 6 out 6 in failure.

I would use it in conjunction with my tail stock while roughing small pieces round, but in every case the second the tail stock pressure was removed the piece would come off. Even if I just backed off the pressure slowly, or stopped the large completely.
And I didn't like that I had to cut it with Scissors and couldn't just tear it

jjjaworski

I use double sided grip tape for installing golf grips. Mainly because I already have it for installing grips on my clubs. It works for the few times i need double sided tape.

egnald

I have had great success with "Duck" brand "Indoor Light Traffic" Carpet Tape from our local Menards store. It is thin so it doesn't interfere with the dimensions of my work when I use it and it comes off cleanly. I accidently bought their "Heavy Traffic" tape but it is too tough, thick, and has a very aggressive adhesive. I would assume that it is also sold in Lowes, Hope Depot, Ace Hardware, etc. - Dave

jttheclockman

One of the tapes I tried was the heavy duty fiber reinforced (but I don't think it was outdoor) and I was 6 out 6 in failure.

I would use it in conjunction with my tail stock while roughing small pieces round, but in every case the second the tail stock pressure was removed the piece would come off. Even if I just backed off the pressure slowly, or stopped the large completely.
And I didn't like that I had to cut it with Scissors and couldn't just tear it
I do not know what type tape you are using but you do need to be careful when using doublesided tape on a spinning lathe. The brand that I am talking about is "Duck brand" and it is an outdoor fabric tape. You can see it here on an earlier model sanding disc I made for my lathe. I since replaced the acrylic pieces with a sheet metal backer.

Attachments

• IMGP0790.JPG
    IMGP0790.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 119

howsitwork

I found the DUCK carpet tape works fairly well for me JT , especially if you press it for a while after application. I leave in the vice fpor about 10 minutes.

Getting it off can be a problem but generally, as it has a mesh in it you can " roll it off" with a finger . Surfaces have to be DUST free however or it can rapidly unstick. I've used other types but this one seems to work well, especially when routing using MDF templates . Note it can de-laminate the MDF template though on removal.

Dvoigt

So side note the outdoor shurtape and outdoor duck tape are the exact same tape... even the cardboard tube inside is the same, just different widths.
I can't tear it by hand like I could with my old tape, but I did have much better results compared to the stuff I tried last week.

Attachments

• D6BBFCF1-A910-4EE0-B697-5F392AE55EA7.jpeg
    D6BBFCF1-A910-4EE0-B697-5F392AE55EA7.jpeg
    69.5 KB · Views: 137

jttheclockman

So side note the outdoor shurtape and outdoor duck tape are the exact same tape... even the cardboard tube inside is the same, just different widths.
I can't tear it by hand like I could with my old tape, but I did have much better results compared to the stuff I tried last week.
Yes that outdoor tape is a bear to get off if you leave for any length of time. I use that only when absolutely need things to keep from flying off.

WriteON

I got this from Amazon

XFasten Double Sided Carpet Tape for Area Rugs, Residue-Free, 2-Inch x 30 Yards; Wood Super Strong and Heavy-Duty Rug Tape for Carpet to Floor and Rug to Carpet Applications

Last edited:
Top Bottom