Double sided safety razors.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Coysquibbly

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Coysquibbly

Thanks, I do believe that is where I saw them. Second question. for those of us that don't have a metal lathe and tap and die accessories, Where would one go to have inserts made to screw the blade and end assembly into.
Again thanks for your help.

Kevin

airborne_r6

With the kits that The Golden Nib sells you shouldn't need an insert. If you look at the picture of the 3-pack it shows how the pieces assemble. The 1/4-20 stud on the base can screw directly into the handle. Wood or acrylic/resin will work great. Just buy a 1/4-20 tap at any hardware store and drill and tap a hole in the end of the handle. Also, there is no reason for the base to need to be taken apart from the handle and it can be glued into the handle. Just put a bit of epoxy in the hole before you thread the base in.

de_3pac.jpg

frank123

Do people still use those? I haven't shaved with a double edged blade since I was 19...over 50 years ago.

I certainly do. I have all of my fathers Gillette's safety razors.
Now I have friends that are using Straight razors. I working up the money and courage to get one.

Straight razors last a long time, my favorite one was made in 1891 and still shaves very well.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of learning honing and stropping while you learn to use one, I recommend the Feather Artist Club which uses a replaceable blade (that is scary sharp, probably sharper than anything you'll achieve by honing and stropping). If you want to go cheap at first, try the Dovo Shavette which gives several options of what kind of blade insert you can use, but is simple in design, and is probably available at a local barber or beauty supply or anywhere online.

jasontg99

Do people still use those? I haven't shaved with a double edged blade since I was 19...over 50 years ago.

I certainly do. I have all of my fathers Gillette's safety razors.
Now I have friends that are using Straight razors. I working up the money and courage to get one.

Straight razors last a long time, my favorite one was made in 1891 and still shaves very well.

If you don't want to go through the hassle of learning honing and stropping while you learn to use one, I recommend the Feather Artist Club which uses a replaceable blade (that is scary sharp, probably sharper than anything you'll achieve by honing and stropping). If you want to go cheap at first, try the Dovo Shavette which gives several options of what kind of blade insert you can use, but is simple in design, and is probably available at a local barber or beauty supply or anywhere online.

Whippeddog.com has great starter razors and strops.

PaulDoug

The added advantage of the leather strop, it a good tool for tool for keeping your kids in line! I know, my mother had one for that purpose.:biggrin: She didn't have to use it often, just get it out and show it to her three ornery boys was usually enough.:rolleyes:

Coarse now days that would be frowned on.

randyrls

People like me that have beards prefer a safety razor because the long beard hair gets caught between the blades on disposable razors. You could use a beard trimmer, but I use a standard safety razor. Just rinse out the hairs.

I may have to get one of those.

Last edited:

pfbarney

I've been using a DE razor for years now. My wife says I shave like an old man because I lather up with a brush too, but I explained to her a real old man would use a straight razor. I can't bring myself to make the leap though.

I have a three of the DE heads from The Golden Nib, but I've been in the process of moving and haven't gotten around to making handles for them yet.

CatSmasher

I used one of the heads from Goldne Nib and a Mach three razor kit. The base from Golden Nib fits into the 7mm tube pretty well and a little JB weld holds it together nicely. I have been using mine for several months with no issues. I didn't like the shave from the Golden Nib head all that much, but the head off of my EdwinJagger razor screws right in with no problems.

I started shaving with a DE razor about a year ago and I will never go back to disposables. It takes three passes, but I get a better shave than ever now. I also save a ton of money. I buy razor blades in the 100 pack for about $25 - that is 25 cents a blade. I change blades once a week. Compare that to the disposables, it will amaze you how much money you throw away on those four and five blade monstrosities.

Cat

airborne_r6

I used one of the heads from Goldne Nib and a Mach three razor kit. The base from Golden Nib fits into the 7mm tube pretty well and a little JB weld holds it together nicely. I have been using mine for several months with no issues. I didn't like the shave from the Golden Nib head all that much, but the head off of my EdwinJagger razor screws right in with no problems...

So the EJ heads will fit the base that comes with the heads from TGN?

CatSmasher

I used one of the heads from Goldne Nib and a Mach three razor kit. The base from Golden Nib fits into the 7mm tube pretty well and a little JB weld holds it together nicely. I have been using mine for several months with no issues. I didn't like the shave from the Golden Nib head all that much, but the head off of my EdwinJagger razor screws right in with no problems...

So the EJ heads will fit the base that comes with the heads from TGN?

Mine did.

wiz9777

I use a straight razor on my face and a Mach 3 on my head. I am not brave enough to try the cutthroat on my scalp yet. This looks like a great intermediate step.

Top Bottom