Double overlay pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

I finished this pen over the weekend, which was the culmination of a couple weeks worth of work. It is my first pen where I did a double skeletonized overlay, as I've not done one on the cap before.
the pen is made from translucent red alumilite I poured, and I used black Ultem for the section and cap threads (I don't like transparent cap threads or sections very much, unless I am making a demonstrator pen from one material only). I cast the bronze barrel and cap overlays from bronze, and used my mill to cut the slots in each. The tricky part of fitting the overlays to their respective parts is that the overlays are tapered inside to match the outside taper (to save weight and material), so the barrel and cap had to be tapered to match the inside of the overlays, which I did through lots of careful sanding.
I cast the clip from bronze as well.
The pen uses a jowo 6 nib.
C3F93943-F048-48EB-937D-9D94EAA8BFC9.jpeg
24965297-39CC-4014-87F3-8185604EC44E.jpeg
594459CD-D10C-4FE1-A564-06099FC25512.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

Nice. Have had thoughts of doing something like that with a different process. Looks great.
More than one way to skin a cat, of course. This would work equally well on bar stock using the turn-and-bore method, however weight will be an issue (not a big deal if you aren't sensitive to weight), and material cost if you work in something fancy like silver.

magpens

Very beautiful work, John, and very unique also !!! . Thanks for showing !

I'd be interested in how you did the internal tapers, please ... if you don't mind ... just briefly if that is poss. ... Thanks !

jalbert

Very beautiful work, John, and very unique also !!! . Thanks for showing !

I'd be interested in how you did the internal tapers, please ... if you don't mind ... just briefly if that is poss. ... Thanks !
Made a tapered aluminum mandrel and wrapped my wax sheet around it, then cast the model

magpens

@jalbert

Thank you ..... yes, of course ! . I should have thought of that ..... it was a late night and an early morning ..... my brain is not yet in gear !!!!!

Top Bottom