Don't you just hate when you grab the WRONG bushings?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Ugh ... was turning a pen to enter for one of the birthday bash contests, and just as I was getting ready to assemble the pen, I discovered that the bushing size was WAY off, so the blank was much too big for the pen!

Part of the error was mine, as I had mistakenly put the bushings into a larger bag with a few pen kits, thinking that they were the proper bushings .... nope! Same name, different barrel diameter, same tube size. Wha?!? :eek:

Always pays to double check when you order your pen kits .... do you have the correct bushings? If no, are you ordering the correct bushings? Helps to have a "starter kit" available that gives you the correct size drill bits and bushings along with the pen kits, I think. Harder for me to mess it up! :rolleyes:

Anyways ... I'ld show you guys a pic, but I already put it back on the lathe with some other bushings and turned it down to the proper diameter ... if you wanna see it, you'll have to check out the bash contests!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Batteries went dead in the calipers???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Rookie mistake. I think I would have sat on that one:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Last edited:

Skie_M

Well, hey ... when you go to buy some new pen kits and need the bushings to go with them and see the same pen style name on the bushings .... (or at least a similar one) ....

I don't think I'm the first person to have ever gotten the bushings for the Le Roi V2 and the Le Roi classic mixed up during ordering. :p (and yes, I did that too, but that's not the pen I made...)

keithncsu

Lucky for you the bushings were bigger than needed. EVERY single time I've made that mistake it resulted in there finished barrel being a smidgeon too small. Like when you buy Triton BALLPOINT bushings rather than the RB/FP bushings... DAMHIKT

Skie_M

Ugh .... thank you for pointing out that it could have gone the other way ....

I'ld build up a CA layer on the barrel to correct for that, if I could.

WriteON

Don't you just hate when you grab the WRONG bushings? YES. Been there.
And I try not to mix kits when turning or gluing.

Stephen

I always measure the bushings and pen components and write them on a card and stick it where I can see it. Under size worn bushes can be accommodated by measuring the barrel with callipers.

Skie_M

I always measure the bushings and pen components and write them on a card and stick it where I can see it. Under size worn bushes can be accommodated by measuring the barrel with callipers.

I thought undersized and worn down bushes were just shrubs? You know ... shrubbery! THOU SHALT BRING ME A SHRUBBERY!!! AND THEN THOU SHALT CUT DOWN THE GREATEST TREE IN THIS FOREST .... WITH A HERRING!! a red herring! YES!! A RED HERRING!

I thought undersized and worn down bushes were just shrubs? You know ... shrubbery! THOU SHALT BRING ME A SHRUBBERY!!! AND THEN THOU SHALT CUT DOWN THE GREATEST TREE IN THIS FOREST .... WITH A HERRING!! a red herring! YES!! A RED HERRING!

Hey now, you leave Monty and me outta this.:biggrin:

Stephen

I use bushes between centers only for alignment not for sizing. Callipers for measuring and works great for me.

randyrls

I have the bushings for a pen. I know because I looked at the invoice, and I remember the bushings being in the box. Can I find them??? NOPE!

So this week I will make some bushings.

Top Bottom