don't try this at home!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elody21

Ok, Ok I know I should have thought of this, but I didn't! All this talk about curing ones resin blank to get it to set up got me to try it. I failed to think about what mold I was placing in the toaster oven. FYI don't place a mold made of cutting boards in a tiny toaster oven too long! After 10 minutes My son says calmly "Mom,there is black smoke coming from that little oven on the porch" The oven is so small it does not have any temperature dial, just toast,broil or bake and light med and dark.
When I worked with resin 2 years ago I hardly ever had any problems but lately I think I am cursed! It might be time to walk away for awhile! Alice
PS does anyone know at what temperature cutting board melts, toast,broil or bake or light med or dark?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If the cutting board material is Polypropylene it wilts/sags at about 220F it will melt and flow at 320F

if the cutting board material is HDPE, if memory serves if will wilt/sag at about 180F, I don't remember the temp for it to actually melt and flow.

Fred

Well, the obvious question is ... How well does resin and cutting board material blend together?

Have you tried to turn the remains into anything else?

Happily you didn't post anything about a fire on the porch!!

elody21

Well, the obvious question is ... How well does resin and cutting board material blend together?

Have you tried to turn the remains into anything else?

Happily you didn't post anything about a fire on the porch!!

We were lucky! The timer went off about a minute after we noticed it. It PR resin does not look like it fused to the cutting board. One side is actually pulled away! The melting was limited to one bottom corner of the mold. This is a blank I was having trouble getting to set at all so it is not ready to come out yet,but the heat seemed to actually work at setting up the resin a little better. It is still sticky so I think I will try to forget about it for a while and in a week or two I might go back and check it. I guess then we will see. The mold is junk anyway so if need be, I can remove all of the screws and cut the blank out with the table saw or band saw.

Last edited:

RHunter

Local Chapter Leader
After looking at the pictures, makes me glad I make my molds out of Silicone!

Of course if my toaster oven goes crazy on me too and cooks the mold, I may change my mind.. :wink:

-DD

sbell111

I'm confused as to why the mold was in the oven.

I wouldn't consider heating the stuff in the oven until the PR had already set up. After all, you are not using the oven's heat to set up the PR, but to cure it, right? Given this, you could just pop the blanks out of the mold, place them on a small baking pan on top of a sheet of parchment paper.

elody21

I was having major problems getting this to set up at all so I figured,"what do I have to loose?" I did not know what would happen. I could not "pop it out" because it was still sticky and in places, pourable. So after the fire in the oven, and a couple of days, I was happy to see it had finally hardened. I have no idea why it was not setting up in the first place.
It is now in the pressure pot with new black pr poured on the top because it had pulled away from the burl. So I am hoping I will get a nice black edging around the burl. It might not turn out at all, but with it pulled away from the burl and there were too many voids to make a good turn anyway.
So all of this has been an experiment with something that would have gone in the trash, so no loss if it does not work, but it could be real interesting too! Alice
PS I actually do not understand the "curing in the oven part anyway" This is something new to me. What is the difference between curing and setting up?I am not argueing , just wondering. Alice
BTW it was the cutting board dripping on the fillimants that caused the smoke and possible fire the PR resin did not catch on fire.

Last edited:

DurocShark

Slight threadjacking... I wonder if cooking the PR without adding MEKP would work. Assuming your mold can handle the temps...

elody21

Slight threadjacking... I wonder if cooking the PR without adding MEKP would work. Assuming your mold can handle the temps...
Not a thread jacking at all. I brought the whole thing up to find out what happened. Thanks for the input! Alice
Is MEKP the activator? If so the answer is yes. It will eventually harden without adding anything. I had it happen to me when I put some resin in a plastic bottle and within 2 weeks it was solid as a rock without the oven just a mildly hot porch.
Alice

Top Bottom