Don’t make the same mistake I did

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Califo

A few weeks ago, my contractor, someone I've use several times and recommended to other friends and neighbors came to me asking for last minute gift pens. I didn't have much in hand and offered 10 beautiful pens. He didn't want to pay more than $25. I took a loss on that deal but he said he wanted 20 more. He explained that he wanted the name of his company engraved on the clip. Then he asked if he could have the logo designed in the wood. I told him that he would have to go to jeweler and engrave and adding a decal on the wood would take time and limit to style of pen AND I couldn't do it for $25. So he agreed and asked me to 20 pens of different styles.
I figured for $25 each, I'd do so assorted pens. I got a few Sierras, executive pens and some slimlines to offset some of the cost. all pens were finished with 7-8 coats of CA and in pen boxes. I figured my cost for parts would cost $250 and I'd make $250. Not much but maybe he'll order more.
last weekend I called him and told him that his pens were ready just in time for Xmas. I sent him a pictureof all the pens in individual boxes. He tells me that he wanted with the name engraved in the clips or the logo decal on the wood. He was not happy and wouldn't want it anymore.
Stupid me, I didn't take a deposit because I've known this guy for a while. How much of a scumbag can one be. I've given this guy nearly $100,000.00 of work between me and neighbors.
Moral of the story is: make sure you take a deposit in any large orders. I lost countless hours and money with pens I will give away at some point.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Darrin

A few weeks ago, my contractor, someone I've use several times and recommended to other friends and neighbors came to me asking for last minute gift pens. I didn't have much in hand and offered 10 beautiful pens. He didn't want to pay more than $25. I took a loss on that deal but he said he wanted 20 more. He explained that he wanted the name of his company engraved on the clip. Then he asked if he could have the logo designed in the wood. I told him that he would have to go to jeweler and engrave and adding a decal on the wood would take time and limit to style of pen AND I couldn't do it for $25. So he agreed and asked me to 20 pens of different styles.
I figured for $25 each, I'd do so assorted pens. I got a few Sierras, executive pens and some slimlines to offset some of the cost. all pens were finished with 7-8 coats of CA and in pen boxes. I figured my cost for parts would cost $250 and I'd make $250. Not much but maybe he'll order more.
last weekend I called him and told him that his pens were ready just in time for Xmas. I sent him a pictureof all the pens in individual boxes. He tells me that he wanted with the name engraved in the clips or the logo decal on the wood. He was not happy and wouldn't want it anymore.
Stupid me, I didn't take a deposit because I've known this guy for a while. How much of a scumbag can one be. I've given this guy nearly $100,000.00 of work between me and neighbors.
Moral of the story is: make sure you take a deposit in any large orders. I lost countless hours and money with pens I will give away at some point.
I never do anything without a deposit.
Friends and business never mix.

keithbyrd

That is a bummer. Its a shame the way some folks do business. Large order like that are nice but hard. Some lessons learned. 1. Engraving always requires a deposit - at least 50% of order (assuming that will at least cover your cost of goods)
2. Never engrave on the metal unless it is stainless steel. I have tried many times and gave up - almost always goes through to the brass.
3. Get sign off on first pen
4. Never under price it. give a discount on 2nd order because of the repeat business
5. Questionable customers - pay 100% up front - all rules still apply
DAMHIK

1080Wayne

If I read this correctly , your new pens have no engraving or decal upon them , so they should be saleable , at whatever price you choose , to other customers . Keith`s advice is the golden rule for custom orders . Thank you for posting so that newer members may benefit from your sad experience .

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I don't like working for free..if I'm doing that, I'll give them away. Working for lower than you'd like to price something is almost never appreciated, anyway, and it usually gets customers that aren't happy with the end result because they're thinking about the money rather than the product.

Next time, price higher, take a deposit for more than a handful of pens, and don't sell to people that are looking at the cheapest option...and considering that I wouldn't want my house worked on by someone that works like that, I might find a new contractor if that's how he operates his business.

penicillin

Go to the jeweler and have them engrave the logo and company name with thin cross-outs through both. On the other side of the pens, have them engrave:

"Ordered this beautiful handmade pen.
Welched and never paid for it."

After that, donate the pens to the City of Boca Raton Planning Department.

Okay, only joking ... but allowing it to roll around in your mind for a few seconds feels good, doesn't it? ;-)

Top Bottom