Doing the things we normally avoid for the desired effect

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hewunch

hewunch

This is a Christmas gift. I have a family member who serves in a seafaring branch of the military. I wanted to make him something that went along with his work. I decided to attempt something that looked like a piling in the water.
IMG_5484.jpeg

it started with some teak for the piling itself. The kit is a Vesper from Exotics. It has more meat on the tube than some other styles. I over turned the teak so that my piling could be seen through the transparent blue of the wave. Once turned and squared, I added the acrylic.
Before epoxying (added blue dye to epoxy) the acrylic I painted the ends of the tube brown.
IMG_5472.jpeg

IMG_5477.jpeg

IMG_5478.jpeg

once I got the acrylic down to size I added finish to the teak to build it up. Here is where the things I would normally try to avoid come into play. Normally, I would avoid epoxy overage on the wood part. This makes it look like water is still on the piling. Normally I would try to avoid bubbles in the finish, this looks like ocean spray. Comments, criticisms, concerns and questions are welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lew

In my experience, a non-expert knows the rules of whatever he/she is doing and follows them religiously. An expert knows the rules and knows when it is ok to break them. You have done an expert job on this piece. Thanks for sharing.

hewunch

In my experience, a non-expert knows the rules of whatever he/she is doing and follows them religiously. An expert knows the rules and knows when it is ok to break them. You have done an expert job on this piece. Thanks for sharing.

that is very kind of you to say. Thank you

Kcimdrib

This is a Christmas gift. I have a family member who serves in a seafaring branch of the military. I wanted to make him something that went along with his work. I decided to attempt something that looked like a piling in the water.
View attachment 362784

it started with some teak for the piling itself. The kit is a Vesper from Exotics. It has more meat on the tube than some other styles. I over turned the teak so that my piling could be seen through the transparent blue of the wave. Once turned and squared, I added the acrylic.
Before epoxying (added blue dye to epoxy) the acrylic I painted the ends of the tube brown.
View attachment 362783
View attachment 362785
View attachment 362786
once I got the acrylic down to size I added finish to the teak to build it up. Here is where the things I would normally try to avoid come into play. Normally, I would avoid epoxy overage on the wood part. This makes it look like water is still on the piling. Normally I would try to avoid bubbles in the finish, this looks like ocean spray. Comments, criticisms, concerns, and questions are welcome.
Great Pen terrific idea.

Top Bottom