Does this look like a good set-up for stabilizing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ray-CA

I'm looking at trying to stabilizing my own wood instead of relying on others/shipping the wood back and forth etc. This kit look like it will work? Primary use is pen blanks but can buy a larger chamber if that is recommended.

Thanks for all the input.

Ray

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I got my setup from TurnTex, cactus juice, and I've been really happy with it. You can contact Curtis through this site @MesquiteMan. I've had great results from his products. Can't speak to what you've shown here. Good luck.

KMCloonan

I'm with Tom (Wolf creek knives). I have the Turntex vacuum chamber, and it works very well. I will say, with Turntex, you need to buy your vacuum pump separately - so the setup you show from Amazon may be slightly less expensive than Turntex, but you will never get the level of service you get from Curtis (Turntex).

Here is the vacuum pump I picked up at Harbor Freight. It's been decent. Keep the oil changed.

Larryreitz

I had a similar one. Vacuum was not a problem but the lid was prone to fogging if Cactus juice go on it. Eventually I couldn't see what was going on inside the pot. I got the small model from Turntex and have been very satisfied with it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I used to do more stabilizing than I do now. However, I would go for the 5 gallon one personally. On occasion I need a larger one for burls or roots that I would like to stabilize - before casting in some resin to fill in voids. <- - With that, stabilizing AND pressure are needed. IF you decide that you may want to cast your own, you will need a pressure tank. I have both abilities in one tank, but some have separate pressure tanks from vacuum tanks.

That still looks like a good set up that you linked to - to me.

MRDucks2

I use a similar 3 gallon and a different, but stainless 1 gallon. Both work fine. Don't get CJ on your lid and if you do, clean it off as soon as the batch is complete to get longer lid life. Lids are replaceable and upgradable. I think one of the keys to Curtis' vessels is the depth. I like his version but have vacuum needs they do not accommodate.

Top Bottom