Does epoxy dull sandpaper?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mewell

Having just</u> started using 2 part epoxy to glue tubes into blanks, I'm finding the sandpaper on my belt sander goes "flat" after squaring the ends of only about 40 blanks. Is this the epoxy or perhaps a bad batch of belts? These are 6x48 belts from Peachtree I bought at the Woodworking show last November (I know, Klingspor). I've been using Sumo glue until I found a steal on epoxy at Hobby Lobby and haven't seen this problem before now.

Thanks,
Mark

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

It's the glue filling in around the abrasive particles. I use one of those cleaners that look like a large pencil eraser and it takes the glue right out and makes the sandpaper surface like new again.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by mewell
<br />Having <u>just</u> started using 2 part epoxy to glue tubes into blanks, I'm finding the sandpaper on my belt sander goes "flat" after squaring the ends of only about 40 blanks. Is this the epoxy or perhaps a bad batch of belts? These are 6x48 belts from Peachtree I bought at the Woodworking show last November (I know, Klingspor). I've been using Sumo glue until I found a steal on epoxy at Hobby Lobby and haven't seen this problem before now.

Thanks,
Mark

mewell

Don - Unfortunately I've already done that ... [V] It really has lost its' "grit". I *thought* LOML was re-shaping her gouge the first time around, but she said no. The second time I saw it go from "new" to junk before my eyes!

its_virgil

Try letting the glue cure longer...maybe it's still a bit soft. I use epoxy and haven't noticed it being a bad as as you're experiencing. I square on a disk sander, but that shouldn't matter.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by mewell
<br />Don - Unfortunately I've already done that ... [V] It really has lost its' "grit". I *thought* LOML was re-shaping her gouge the first time around, but she said no. The second time I saw it go from "new" to junk before my eyes!

bradh

I also square the blanks on a sander. I found that you need to be careful not to get things too hot. I changed to a finer grit and tried to sand less agressively and I found I get much better life out the belts and disks. I also clean the paper often. If you wait for it to gum up, it is too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom