Does anyone still use the Schmidt PRS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stuckinohio

Hello,

I am starting the kitless adventure and like the idea of using the Schmidt PRS or cartridge rollerball section since they swap out with Jowo nibs.

However, after a lot of searching I have only found one thread recently regarding the system and it was not talking about the functionality of it but what tap to use and where to get it.

I find several posts from 2015 and earlier which makes me think they don't work well or nobody uses them for whatever reason. I don't want something leaking in a pocket or desk.

Lewis

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

Try here:
Schmidt Rolling Writer System - Pen Kits & Parts

I believe https://richardlgreenwald.com still carries them as well but I can't connect to his website at the moment.

Schmidt still shows them in their catalog here: SCHMIDT® Cartridge-Rollerball-System PRS

I didn't use them enough to form any kind of an opinion one way or another, although they're cheap enough to be worth experimenting with. Interchangeability with Jowo doesn't seem right. Are you sure? Schmidt--Yes.

Hope there's something helpful here.

Bill

Curly

The rolling writer and the Schmidt #5 nib, feed and housing are an exact match so are interchangeable. When I got mine it was through Indy Pen Dance but since then they have stopped selling. I don't know who sells the fountain pen nibs now. The tap needed is a 6.4 x .5mm.

Attachments

• scmidt 021.jpg
    scmidt 021.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 384

stuckinohio

Try a site search using the terms roller writer and go back to around 2010-2012 or so and you will find quite a few threads discussing it. This one in particular by Richard Greenwald is pretty interesting and informative:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f167/schmidt-cartridge-rollerball-system-72568/

Hope it helps,

Bill

I read through that. I just haven't seen much of anything about it since 2015 or so.

According to Mike Redburns article the Jowo #5 and the Schmidt PRS are interchangeable, though I have no actual experience.

stuckinohio

The rolling writer and the Schmidt #5 nib, feed and housing are an exact match so are interchangeable. When I got mine it was through Indy Pen Dance but since then they have stopped selling. I don't know who sells the fountain pen nibs now. The tap needed is a 6.4 x .5mm.

Curly, Does anyone else sell Schmidt fountain pen nibs besides Schmidt?

Bmachin, Thanks for the link to Schmidt. I see they offer a chrome tipped PRS but I haven't seen one on any sites for sale. Anyone know where to get one?

Lewis

stuckinohio

The metal tipped PRS or my name for it, Rolling Righter is:https://richardlgreenwald.com/shop/schmidt-metal-rolling-righter-cartridge-rollerball-system/

and the fountain pen nib units are:https://richardlgreenwald.com/shop/fountain-pen-front-parts-stroke-f/

I hope this answers your question.

Perfect! I find it hard to navigate Richards site for some reason. I thought I had looked there before but must have missed it.

Have you used the rolling writer and if so, what are your thoughts?

Lewis

Curly

Glad there is somewhere to get the fountain pen nibs to match the Rolling Righter. The OP mentioned the JoWo was a match too but I thought it had a longer feed housing. Does it interchange with the rolling righter or does it just share the same threads?

stuckinohio

Glad there is somewhere to get the fountain pen nibs to match the Rolling Righter. The OP mentioned the JoWo was a match too but I thought it had a longer feed housing. Does it interchange with the rolling righter or does it just share the same threads?

By interchange I meant the threads are the same. I don't know if they simply swap out.

My thinking was I could make a pen as a rollerball which most people like but if someone wanted that particular pen as a fountain pen I could swap it out. I suppose now that you mention it I might have to make a section at the very least.

Lewis

stuckinohio

That was what I liked about the Schmidt, you use the same section for both.

Good to know. You've been very helpful.

I know nothing about fountain pen nibs, but I have friends that are very particular about them. How would you say Schmidt compare to Jowo?

Lewis

bmachin

Lewis,

I just did some quick measurements on a Schmidt #5 vs a Jowo #5 feed housing. I won't give you the numbers because they aren't something that you can take to the bank but I can say this:
1. For every diameter other than the thread diameter, the Schmidt is somewhat larger.
2. The threads start at almost exactly the same distance from the front of the housing.
3. The Schmidt is slightly longer.

You could probably make a section that is swappable between the Rolling Righter and a Jowo but I suspect that the Jowo would be a really sloppy fit.

The Schmidt is a quality nib although there are many who would view it as being in the minor leagues compared to Jowo or Bock. Schmidt nibs are made in Germany (quite possibly by Jowo). Schmidt nibs cost 6 or 7 bucks; a Jowo or Bock will cost you 20 unless you are buying 50 or so at a time. You can tune a Schmidt nib to write as well as a Jowo or a Bock; of if you can't tune it you can afford to throw it away and grab another one.

There are fountain pen snobs out there and I'm probably one of them. All of the pens I make have Jowo nibs that I tune myself. But I started out with Schmidts and learned to tune on them. Better to make your mistakes on something relatively inexpensive.

Anyhow, I've gone on too long. Hope this helps.

Bill

Penultimate

Lewis
I have PRS nibbled kitless that I use often at work. I use it with red ink for markups. The pen ink flow is quite wet and the rolling element does "feel" as solid as a regular roller ball. The advantage is you can select a range of inks. IMHO the disadvantage is the roller feel.

In the future, I will just make a nib and use a roller ball refill.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

stuckinohio

Lewis
I have PRS nibbled kitless that I use often at work. I use it with red ink for markups. The pen ink flow is quite wet and the rolling element does "feel" as solid as a regular roller ball. The advantage is you can select a range of inks. IMHO the disadvantage is the roller feel.

In the future, I will just make a nib and use a roller ball refill.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Good to know. I have the tap coming from Mike Redburn and a PRS coming from Milan pens so I'll know soon enough. In all likelyhood I'll probably end up doing the same thing you plan on doing. I do know that I have 2 fountain pen lovers who like very thin pens and it seems like my best option is Jowo or Bock #5 nibs and since they are picky, if they don't like what I mock up then I can use it as a roller or try the fountain pen experience!

Lewis

stuckinohio

I wanted to thank everyone who helped with this last month. Got my first pen completed using the Schmidt PRS system. Works well in my opinion.

At least this way I can make a pen and can furnish it outfitted with either Fountain pen or rollerball!

Lewis

Top Bottom