Does anyone know where...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

H2O

I can get the plastic threaded insert for an Atrax rollerball?
Is it possible to get just the insert?

I've been trying to get this pen done for a member on here and I would have had it finished, but during assembly, the threads crushed and now it won't get finished until I can get this insert. I'm sure it was my fault in some way.
I was hoping to send it out tomorrow. I guess that isn't going to happen now.

I can't even get the broken insert out. A bad day getting worse.

Thanks for any help on locating an insert.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RedBeard

I had something similar happen with an Orion. I contacted Wood Turningz (dang do I hate the Z in there) and they sent me a replacement insert ring. You might want to contact whomever you bought the kit from and see if they have one.

As far as getting the old one out I used a transfer punch to tap out the end cap and then from that end I was able to use a punch to work the insert section out.

H2O

I had something similar happen with an Orion. I contacted Wood Turningz (dang do I hate the Z in there) and they sent me a replacement insert ring. You might want to contact whomever you bought the kit from and see if they have one.

As far as getting the old one out I used a transfer punch to tap out the end cap and then from that end I was able to use a punch to work the insert section out.

Thanks for the tip for getting the insert out. I'll give it a try, but it was pretty tight and almost fully in.

I didn't purchase the kit, it is someone else's and I'm just making the pen.
I don't expect to get one for nothing, I'm sure I did something to break it, so I'll have to pay the price so I can get this pen to it's owner.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I can get the plastic threaded insert for an Atrax rollerball?
Is it possible to get just the insert?

I've been trying to get this pen done for a member on here and I would have had it finished, but during assembly, the threads crushed and now it won't get finished until I can get this insert. I'm sure it was my fault in some way.
I was hoping to send it out tomorrow. I guess that isn't going to happen now.

I can't even get the broken insert out. A bad day getting worse.

Thanks for any help on locating an insert.
Try Exotic Blanks they stock the Atrax.

H2O

I would have figured if they had any, they would have responded.

I've read where people have a hard time getting ahold of them. I have limited windows of time to do anything.

I will eventually locate one, even if I have to purchase a whole kit.
The person waiting for this pen has been very patient and after seeing it turned down, I definitely want to get it to them.

But, thanks for all of the help, everyone...

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I would have figured if they had any, they would have responded.

I've read where people have a hard time getting ahold of them. I have limited windows of time to do anything.

I will eventually locate one, even if I have to purchase a whole kit.
The person waiting for this pen has been very patient and after seeing it turned down, I definitely want to get it to them.

But, thanks for all of the help, everyone...
They're busy and don't read everything here..You could call them, they usually are open to calls better in the evening than in the middle of the day.

H2O

After the overwhelming help here... I've located a place to purchase a new kit.
Most members believe the vendors here are the only place to buy from, not so. I found a source that is not only quick in responses, but also very helpful. I plan to get more than just the one kit after my positive experience, and at a better price, but I would be willing to pay more for this service.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Tell us who you are and where you live

Most members believe the vendors here are the only place to buy from, not so. I found a source that is not only quick in responses, but also very helpful. I plan to get more than just the one kit after my positive experience, and at a better price, but I would be willing to pay more for this service.
I'm glad you found what you need. Just a word, you will get more interest in such requests here if you don't keep your name and location secret. As a vendor on this site, I am not very interested in offering special services to people who don't want us to know who they are and where they live.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

May want to suggest to your new-found source that he drop in at bash time and donate a few thousand bucks for prizes!! That's what keeps the IAP afloat, so you can glean the info you want.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I find it odd that you wouldn't try calling a vendor that you knew carried it, because 'some' have said that they're 'sometimes' hard to get a hold of...I get that you were hoping that someone had one that they'd part with, but your comment about how you were assuming that a vendor would reply is odd to me.

No-one reads every post. Assuming that a person you want to contact who may have what you need will read your thread is a failing proposition.

Vendors are busy - I'd suggest that you try calling them directly next time, especially if time is tight.

Just a tip!
Andrew

H2O

I'm glad you found what you need. Just a word, you will get more interest in such requests here if you don't keep your name and location secret. As a vendor on this site, I am not very interested in offering special services to people who don't want us to know who they are and where they live.
My location and name isn't secret. I don't see how that information being public is going to benefit me getting a part or an answer to a question.
I didn't ask you or any vendor for a special service. I asked for a source to obtain a part.

May want to suggest to your new-found source that he drop in at bash time and donate a few thousand bucks for prizes!! That's what keeps the IAP afloat, so you can glean the info you want.

Now you have time to chime in. Just another opportunity to make yourself appear wonderful. I don't see how donating "prizes" keeps a forum afloat. A monetary donation to the forum would help keep it afloat.

I find it odd that you wouldn't try calling a vendor that you knew carried it, because 'some' have said that they're 'sometimes' hard to get a hold of...I get that you were hoping that someone had one that they'd part with, but your comment about how you were assuming that a vendor would reply is odd to me.

No-one reads every post. Assuming that a person you want to contact who may have what you need will read your thread is a failing proposition.

Vendors are busy - I'd suggest that you try calling them directly next time, especially if time is tight.

Just a tip!
Andrew

I didn't assume a vendor would read my post. I didn't hope someone had one to part with. I asked for a source to get one. Read all of my posts and you will find that I stated I messed it up and didn't expect one for nothing. I'm not going to call a vendor that carries the kit, for a part of a kit. I would contact Berea directly first.
If vendors are so "busy", I suggest adding an employee to lessen the burden.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
My location and name isn't secret. I don't see how that information being public is going to benefit me getting a part or an answer to a question.
I didn't ask you or any vendor for a special service. I asked for a source to obtain a part.

Now you have time to chime in. Just another opportunity to make yourself appear wonderful. I don't see how donating "prizes" keeps a forum afloat. A monetary donation to the forum would help keep it afloat.

Just a tip!
Andrew

I didn't assume a vendor would read my post. I didn't hope someone had one to part with. I asked for a source to get one. Read all of my posts and you will find that I stated I messed it up and didn't expect one for nothing. I'm not going to call a vendor that carries the kit, for a part of a kit. I would contact Berea directly first.
If vendors are so "busy", I suggest adding an employee to lessen the burden.
Reading your post you asked for a source - I gave you one.

You said you expected them to contact you if they had the part. Berea Hardwoods BTW is also a listed vendor here (obviously you didn't know that) so why would you not expect them to contact you if they had the part?

Why wouldn't you contact a "kit vendor" to get a part for a kit they carry? I get lots of requests for parts when people break them, usually I have the part they need.

Most kit vendors on this site do have many of the parts needed for kits they stock and will often provide them free except for the shipping cost. If they don't have the part themselves they will often be able to point you to someone who does.

I can't speak for others, but if someone responds to something I offered in Deals, Trades, Gifts and Wants and doesn't have their full name and location listed their response is ignored.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Honest answer as to why not reply to your thread: I really don't expect much from a "Bad apple" living in "oblivion". Especially since I recognized you have sent me a PM criticizing one of my vids as "unsafe" . So, replying seemed a waste of time. This exchange has, pretty much confirmed my "gut feeling". Sorry I chimed in at all. Back to "work".

H2O

Honest answer as to why not reply to your thread: I really don't expect much from a "Bad apple" living in "oblivion". Especially since I recognized you have sent me a PM criticizing one of my vids as "unsafe" . So, replying seemed a waste of time. This exchange has, pretty much confirmed my "gut feeling". Sorry I chimed in at all. Back to "work".

Makes two of us. And now you realize why I didn't contact you. You, not unlike another vendor here, are here solely to sell. You do not participate, unless it benefits you.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Classic's defending Exotic's AMAZING

Very seldom would I defend Ed at Exotics but Bad Apple your so far off base it make me laugh. He has been a member here for a number of years and has contributed as much to this site as anyone. We are competitors yes, do we both love each other, no but I will say this the man has always helped when asked. He along with other Vendors has helped in ways you just don't get. You came on this site with a large chip on your shoulder about the vendors here, you refuse to ID yourself, tell where you live and in general just slam vendors you've never done business with.
I make this promise to you, this will be the last time I post on any of your threads.

GaryMGg

Makes two of us. And now you realize why I didn't contact you. You, not unlike another vendor here, are here solely to sell. You do not participate, unless it benefits you.

You apparently know little about the forum and people's history and earned reputation.
Ed has taught more people more tricks, tips and techniques than most members here.
You need to open wide to remove both feet from your
mouth.
Your behavior is detrimental to the IAP.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member

[profile]H2O[/profile],

Please heed our Acceptable Use Policy, wherein you will find; "Broad, negative statements about individuals or businesses are not permitted." Unprovoked attacks on any member are not welcome.

Given your short time with us, I'll assume that you're not aware of the large contributions most of our vendors have made over many years in time, helpful advice, financial support, and donation of prizes.

Skie_M

It would also help a TON if your thread title weren't a vague meandering stream that babbles it's way into a brook and slowly finds it's way out to sea ....

Nobody knows what this thread is about by looking at the title. The only reason the vendors came to post in this thread is because others who had the time chanced in and see that you were looking for help.

The only thing your complaint tells anybody here is ... you don't know how to ask the right questions, you don't care enough to have your problem fixed, and when you don't get the problem fixed right away you find fault with us not being able to read your mind to find the problem and present you with the perfect solution right away.

If you had asked the right question to start with, say, by giving the thread a proper title, the vendors would have paid MUCH more attention, and you would have been on the right track right away.

If you cared enough to have your problem fixed, you would have found out which vendor carries the product you had a question about, and SOMEONE DID TELL YOU, and then you would have GONE TO THEIR SPECIFIC SECTION OF THE FORUM TO ASK YOUR QUESTION DIRECTLY TO THEM. Or you could have sent them a private message. It is more than apparrent to everybody reading this thread that you didn't bother to do either, so, you didn't care about your problem enough to fix it yourself.

Lastly, even with the actual vendors here posting in the thread, you don't even bother to TALK TO THEM.

Nobody can help you if you don't even bother to help yourself.

I'm sorry if I am coming off as some kind of uncaring individual, but I can assure you, the opposite is the truth. On the other side of his computer screen, he's got a CUSTOMER who is WAITING PATIENTLY for him to finish his or her pen, and he's wasting time beating around the bush playing the blame game because the internet doesn't come with an "easy mode" button.

I'm perfectly willing to bet that he could have gotten that part in all of 4 business days if he'ld only gone straight to Ed and Dawn of Exotic Blanks like he was told. With all the pens that Ed takes apart and puts back together for his demo videos and to send replacement parts out for whatever reason, I'm certain he's got spare parts taking up a few drawers, and whether or not you bought the kit from Ed, he'ld take the time to figure out your problem and send you the part, because making you happy is only good business sense. If you're happy with the service, you'll come back, you'll buy from them because they take care of their customers. They're good people, and that's just how it is.

[edit]
Oh, and last but not least, why is this topic even in the CASUAL CONVERSATION forum???

You have a question about a pen part, not the color of the sky or how to barbecue chicken! It would have gotten MUCH better views and responses if you had place your topic in the Penturning forum, the Fountain Pen forum, or, most especially, the correct marketplace forums.

Personally, if I had an issue like this, I would have posted a "want" ad in the Deals Trades Gifts and Wants forum. I would have asked if anybody had a spare parts bin with the appropriate pen parts and the specific part that I need, and I would have offered at least the postage cost to have the incomplete kit sent to me... If I hadn't gotten any response there within 48 to 72 hours (not counting weekends, because we all have family life), then I would have gone back to my vendor and simply purchased another kit.

I still get stuff from PSI, because they're the first place that I found and I do like a lot of their selection. But if I buy something from a vendor and need it replaced, I'm going to go back to that vendor unless I have had serious problems with their business ethics or attitude. I've had NOTHING but good relations with all the vendors here.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Personally, if I had an issue like this, I would have posted a "want" ad in the Deals Trades Gifts and Wants forum. I would have asked if anybody had a spare parts bin with the appropriate pen parts and the specific part that I need, and I would have offered at least the postage cost to have the incomplete kit sent to me...

To use the marketplace, including Deals, you have to have your address in your profile...H20 doesn't list his in his profile.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
In less than 4 hours from his original post the OP had his question answered - a source where he could probably get what he needed.

Skie_M

Personally, if I had an issue like this, I would have posted a "want" ad in the Deals Trades Gifts and Wants forum. I would have asked if anybody had a spare parts bin with the appropriate pen parts and the specific part that I need, and I would have offered at least the postage cost to have the incomplete kit sent to me...

To use the marketplace, including Deals, you have to have your address in your profile...H20 doesn't list his in his profile.

Quite true, but that was what I would do in a situation like his. :)

Top Bottom