Does anyone have tips for turning hemp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

I've watched every video I can find on turning hemp. I was advised by the hemp vendor to use epoxy and not ca for gluing tubes, drilling on the lathe and to turn between centers. I recently turned two and had issues. I do use epoxy, I did drill for the tubes on my lathe, I did not turn between centers as I don't yet have adapters. Both blanks cracked at the cap end during the drilling process, I used ca to glue the crack and applied a clamp. I found hemp needs a sharp tool, I used carbide and I found that sanding close to smooth once in awhile during turning helped with less chipping out, but during the turn the body had a complete blow out. While I am new to turning, I did lots of research before starting with hemp and felt I was aware of the issues, but still it was a struggle. I'm thinking it is probably a really good idea to turn between centers as the body is closer to the tail stock and thus the vibration is more intense. I think this material is prone to cracking due to it's structure, more like particle or wafer board....sort of bits and pieces pressed together. Thoughts? Input?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

Thank you, that may be who I purchased my blanks from. I love these blanks so much, and just want to give them the best chance for success. I did get some input from the vendor and I'm just looking for the off chance that there may be more advice from someone with experience turning these before I try again in the future.

BULLWINKLE

I've never turned hemp but there are some varieties of wood that are very difficult to work with. The few that I found to be difficult I stopped using. It's not fun when a blank you are working on cracks, chips or self destructs. There are so many materials that are easily worked with. I stick to the ones that haven't caused any problems.

Hippie3180

This is very plausible and even more practical especially if you are selling, right now I am gaining experience and knowledge really. Hemp is challenging, but also really beautiful especially when dyed. I'm going to give it another go, but trying to gather all input before trying again. With that said, you are exactly right, there are so many other options and so many that are more user friendly. 😀

sorcerertd

Lot's of patience and very sharp tools! If you get too aggressive, it will definitely come apart. When I think about it, patience is the most expensive lesson I've learned about pen turning and there still seems to be plenty of refresher courses.

I often find that a nice sharp skew can work better than carbide in many cases. Another lesson in patience is sharpening them. Sharp tools does include the drill bits, too.

I've only turned 2 blanks worth, amounting to 3 pens. They all came out OK, glued with gorilla glue and turned between centers. I took it very slow after reading about other's experiences with the hemp.

derekdd

Bob, from RJB Woodturning, turns a hemp blank here using an Apollo kit from Kate at Bullseye Turning Supply. He has trouble with it and is pretty liberal with thin CA.

It appears to be fibers from the plant cast in resin rather than an intact piece like stabilizing grapevine or chunks of burl or other wood. Due to that, it seems there are voids where the resin doesn't penetrate as well, and the fibers sort of fuzz out or break. Slow going, sharp tools, and thin CA on hand appears to be the trick. The finished product is very pretty so I certainly see the appeal.

Hippie3180

Bob, from RJB Woodturning, turns a hemp blank here using an Apollo kit from Kate at Bullseye Turning Supply. He has trouble with it and is pretty liberal with thin CA.

It appears to be fibers from the plant cast in resin rather than an intact piece like stabilizing grapevine or chunks of burl or other wood. Due to that, it seems there are voids where the resin doesn't penetrate as well, and the fibers sort of fuzz out or break. Slow going, sharp tools, and thin CA on hand appears to be the trick. The finished product is very pretty so I certainly see the appeal.

Yes! Bob is the one who inspired me to try hemp. I knew what I was getting into, just trying to see what my options are for my next go at it. I enjoy the challenge of it AND if one can get it to the point of completion it's beautiful. I love Bob's videos, I've learned so much from him.

Hippie3180

IMG_1090.jpeg

KateHarrow

I'm not on here much but you can always hit me up via email or Facebook. I've turned more hempwood than anyone. The tailstock end will always give you trouble if you're using a mandrel - that's why I recommend using TBC. It's a challenging material - it's thousand of fibers pressed together with adhesive in a hydraulic press. Sharp tools and taking your time are the only options for success

derekdd

I'm not on here much but you can always hit me up via email or Facebook. I've turned more hempwood than anyone. The tailstock end will always give you trouble if you're using a mandrel - that's why I recommend using TBC. It's a challenging material - it's thousand of fibers pressed together with adhesive in a hydraulic press. Sharp tools and taking your time are the only options for success
Hi Kate,

Does speed figure in at all? I've seen your blanks and some finished pens on YT and think the material is incredibly interesting.

KateHarrow

Hi Kate,

Does speed figure in at all? I've seen your blanks and some finished pens on YT and think the material is incredibly interesting.
I drill it at 1100 ish rpm and turn it at 3000. If the tools are sharp and you're not building up too much heat it's pretty much like anything else. Maybe I'll turn it live on YouTube or something

jrc

I've watched every video I can find on turning hemp. I was advised by the hemp vendor to use epoxy and not ca for gluing tubes, drilling on the lathe and to turn between centers. I recently turned two and had issues. I do use epoxy, I did drill for the tubes on my lathe, I did not turn between centers as I don't yet have adapters. Both blanks cracked at the cap end during the drilling process, I used ca to glue the crack and applied a clamp. I found hemp needs a sharp tool, I used carbide and I found that sanding close to smooth once in awhile during turning helped with less chipping out, but during the turn the body had a complete blow out. While I am new to turning, I did lots of research before starting with hemp and felt I was aware of the issues, but still it was a struggle. I'm thinking it is probably a really good idea to turn between centers as the body is closer to the tail stock and thus the vibration is more intense. I think this material is prone to cracking due to it's structure, more like particle or wafer board....sort of bits and pieces pressed together. Thoughts? Input?
I've stabilized some on my pen blanks for over 10 years. I stabilize hemp and cannabis stalks cut to 3" pieces to make beads for cannabis pens & clips. The lite colored beads are from cannabis stalks.

Attachments

• IMG_7758.jpeg
    IMG_7758.jpeg
    585.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_6167.png
    IMG_6167.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_6840.jpeg
    IMG_6840.jpeg
    471.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_5267.jpeg
    IMG_5267.jpeg
    683.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6745.jpeg
    IMG_6745.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 24
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    332.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6495.jpeg
    IMG_6495.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 23

jrc

I've made cannabis beads for almost a year. I don't find it any more difficult working than most other woods as long as it has been stabilized. The only problem I have is the outer skin outer fibers pulls up then sanding starts.

Attachments

• IMG_5300.png
    IMG_5300.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6534.jpeg
    IMG_6534.jpeg
    305.5 KB · Views: 17

KateHarrow

I've made cannabis beads for almost a year. I don't find it any more difficult working than most other woods as long as it has been stabilized. The only problem I have is the outer skin outer fibers pulls up then sanding starts.
Those are awesome, but it is different than HempWood which is taking those stalks and turning them into a lumber substitute

Attachments

• IMG_2971.jpeg
    IMG_2971.jpeg
    598 KB · Views: 28
Top Bottom