Does a more beautiful type of wood exist?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from QuillandQuiver

I know it's personal opinion. But I think this Honduran Rosewood Burl is unrivaled in beauty. I hate to make such a sweeping statement there' but I have not ever seen, much less handled, much less turned a more beautiful piece of wood than this. And I wonder if I'll ever have the privilege to do it again.

My wife surprised me with this blank from Davis Wood Essentials (@StevenDavis) for my birthday. At $70 (split into two blanks)— it's also the most valuable, high-stakes turning I've done. Worth buying a brand new barrel trimmer and fresh carbide tips just in case. In case you're wondering... after taking my discard pens for personal use, I finally wanted to make a daily-driver that I really liked to write with. The Slimline Pro EDC is very basic but I REALLY like the fact that it's pretty heavy for a click pen (which I've always liked about rollerballs). And as I've said in other posts- I'm a fan of gunmetal because it seems to work with just about any wood color.

I slowed down and took double the time on this one. It turned like a dream, finished like a dream (11 coats Med. CA), and was perhaps the smoothest process start-to-finish of any of the pens I've done to date.

Cale
(Curious- Can you actually name a more beautiful type of wood? I'd be interested!)
IMG_7365.jpeg

IMG_7349.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7361.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful wood indeed ! ! And a very beautifully made pen ! !

Congratulations ! !

BULLWINKLE

Beautiful pen and especially beautiful wood.
The wood I would like to get a blank for is only sold in large pieces and it's thousands of dollars so it ain't happening. This table sold for nearly $5,000 ! The Rosewood you used is just as incredible. There are several exceptional woods (not many) Here's a picture of the wood I'd love to use for a pen. Of course I'd be very pleased to get some of that Rosewood. Is any more available and if so, where did you purchase it from ?
2CC949CE-045F-44C5-A684-FA56A1B4D116.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful pen and especially beautiful wood.
The wood I would like to get a blank for is only sold in large pieces and it's thousands of dollars so it ain't happening. This table sold for nearly $5,000 ! The Rosewood you used is just as incredible. There are several exceptional woods (not many) Here's a picture of the wood I'd love to use for a pen. Of course I'd be very pleased to get some of that Rosewood. Is any more available and if so, where did you purchase it from ? View attachment 353636
Wow that's wild stuff!!! What species?

My wife purchased the blank from daviswoodessentials.com
Seems like they have a small-batch selection of blanks but they're absolutely stunning.

Lew

That is one beautiful wood! My wife and I have had a rosewood dining table for year and everyone always comments on how pretty the wood is. Doesn't hold a candle to the burl you have.

egnald

Very Nice. Honduran Rosewood is a very attractive wood but that it is a burl makes it extra special. Gorgeous Pen.
Dave

PS Did you know a 15-30 minute soak in Acetone would clean up your non-stick bushings and make them like new again? I used to try to pick the dried CA off or turn it off and usually wound up just buying new ones rather than dealing with it. For the last 3 years or so I keep a little 4-oz jelly jar of Acetone and toss my bushings in for 5 minutes after every use to clean them up. I've been using the same set for over 3 years now and they still look like new.

jeporter02

Spectacular wood and a fantastic pen. I agree that it is hard to find a more beautiful wood than burls of several species. Redwood burl is one of my favourites and I've seen some that could almost hold a candle to this Honduran Rosewood. Great craftsmanship here.

wimkluck

It is a stunning pen. Well done. There are other very beautiful woods. Spalted Amboyna Burl, Dessert Ironwoodburl and some walnut burl.
High quality dessert ironwood and Honduran Rosewood Burl is hard to get here in europe. The other thing is: do I want to pay that kind of money.

BULLWINKLE

That wood is Sinker Cypress. The tree is several hundred years old and it has to be raised from underwater in the Louisiana bayou, where it has been for about 100 years. . The divers have to go under water that has water moccasins, snapper turtles and of course, gators. I'm sure that adds to the high cost. I think that Rosewood burl is equally beautiful. Great work in making it.
I know that CA is the most durable and adds depth to the grain pattern. I prefer to use lacquer or shellac as while CA looks great, the feel is plastic. It's not a criticism but my personal opinion. I like the patina that develops with a lacquer or shellac finish on fine wood. Nevertheless, that pen is spectacular ! Thanks for sharing the place of purchase.

PenPal

I could name dozens of beautiful timbers,the front page auther produces them continually and is a personal friend,Australia is blessed also with so many outstanding timbers. I agree your pen is outstanding,some new Rosewoods are popping up from Islands around us now that are breathtaking. Beauty is in the eye of all of us,the hunt for it a favourite sport IMHO.Thanks for sharing your pen.

Very Nice. Honduran Rosewood is a very attractive wood but that it is a burl makes it extra special. Gorgeous Pen.
Dave

PS Did you know a 15-30 minute soak in Acetone would clean up your non-stick bushings and make them like new again? I used to try to pick the dried CA off or turn it off and usually wound up just buying new ones rather than dealing with it. For the last 3 years or so I keep a little 4-oz jelly jar of Acetone and toss my bushings in for 5 minutes after every use to clean them up. I've been using the same set for over 3 years now and they still look like new.
This is genius. Thanks so much.

GaryMGg

This is certainly a beautiful pen.
Well done.

For me, when it comes to pens, Amboyna burl tops the pops, followed by Old Growth Redwood burl, then the burls full of eyes.
As mentioned, waterfall Bubinga is outstanding too.
One of my others is crosscut Old Growth Antique Heart Pine. Smells great. It's often very fragile and care must be taken when turning.

Sinker Cypress is gorgeous wood but on a pen, I find it usually doesn't have enough material to show off its beauty.
Crosscut would likely show it off well in small pieces.

Top Bottom