Dodecahedral tortoise fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here is a pen I finished this weekend, which was an order from a friend. They basically gave me the nib, told me a material they wanted (tortoiseshell acetate) and said to have fun and surprise them. In continuing with my exploration of facets, I decided to make a pen with a 12 sided cross section in the center of the barrel and cap, tapering to a hexagon at each end of the barrel and cap. I made the clip from argentium silver. The nib is a Pelikan m800 nib. To get around the issue of standard converters being incompatible with Pelikan nibs, I opted to make my own integrated syringe style converter. Over all length is around 5.25". Cap threads are 12.5x 2mm double start. Section threads are 10x.5mm.
2BF2E0B2-D953-485E-BDD8-52A3E8155770.jpeg
5571457A-EF31-49C6-8FB8-D4DAF28BE344.jpeg
4CBF6B32-2E39-4176-BED0-D972275FB248.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TG Design

John, great looking pen, awesome design and blank. Does the piston filler rod stay extended when it's screwed back into the body? How easy is it to make? I assume you dip the entire nib to fill?

Great pen!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Stunning pen, John !!! . The 12-sided faceting is absolutely spectacular. . I have never before seen anything like this.
I greatly admire your work, which always sets such a very high bar.

In particular, I note that you have complied with the suggestions you made (Post #2) when commenting on another person's thread here :

Last edited:

jalbert

John, great looking pen, awesome design and blank. Does the piston filler rod stay extended when it's screwed back into the body? How easy is it to make? I assume you dip the entire nib to fill?

Great pen!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
1.yes, otherwise all the ink would be forced out as you screw the section in
2. Depends how adept you are at threading little things
3. Yes

jalbert

Stunning pen, John !!! . The 12-sided faceting is absolutely spectacular. . I have never before seen anything like this.
I greatly admire your work, which always sets such a very high bar.

In particular, I note that you have complied with the suggestions you made (Post #2) when commenting on another person's thread here :

I try to adhere to my basic design principles

Top Bottom