• Go by the Bushings

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Use Calipers and Forget the Bushings

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

An interesting post put the question in my mind as to how many people actually use calipers on their blanks to ensure proper sizing.

Personally I routinely check my busings with calipers, and turn by the calipers. Getting a good measurement off the blank is tough with any amount of curvature. At least IMHO.

So, do you go by the bushings or do you use calipers to measure the blank?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BogBean

I use the bushings to get close then I check the pen parts because they can run out by as much as .006. Next I write down the diameter of the pen parts and finish the barrels to +.001 to .002. I just don’t see how anyone could make a quality pen using just the bushings.

esheffield

So far I've only done the bushings since I don't have any decent calipers yet. But I've been wondering how much difference the movement of the wood makes over time. A few months ago I saw a comment by someone on here that at least to him it seemed overkill to really stress over a those last couple of 1000ths since the wood will quick change due to humidity, heating, cooling, etc.

I can say that with the few pens I still have (all slimline) that I haven't given away, The fit still seems pretty good, but they do seem to move a little. Some days they're perfect, others off by just a tad. As I improve at this and start looking to sell, I'll try the calipers. I'm just wondering if, at least for wooden pens (rather than resin or stabilized, etc.), it makes that much difference in the long run. Anybody have any experiences like this?

C_Ludwigsen

I mostly go by the bushings but do periodically check my bushings with the calipers. I sort out worn bushings into a separate bin to use as spacers. No right answers here as long as the pen comes out aligned.

Good question though.

atvrules1

Calipers, why use calipers? I like not knowing if its going to fit until you press that last piece in. Then you take a close look at it to see if you have to do it all over again. Kinda like when the kids get on their bikes Christmas morning. (the bikes I put together Christmas eve)
Who wants a sure thing every time.[}:)][:D]

wayneis

If you are going by a statement that I made the other day I did not say that I don't use bushings, I said that I use the bushings as a guide only as the pen kit parts can vary quite a bit between batchs and as you use bushings a little at a time get taken off with each use with sanding mostly so they end up getting smaller as time goes on. So for those of us that use both bushings and calipers or micometers you did not put an option in the poll for us so we cannot vote and the whole poll will be skewed. Pun intended[;)]

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom