Do you find it hard to start back turning?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I haven't turned anything in quite a while. I have other irons in the fire but I just haven't had the motivation to turn anything lately. I do have plans for making my mom and sister some thing for Christmas but I don't plan on starting those for another couple months. I really enjoy turning but man, I just can't get myself to even drill and tube a pen blank. Lol Hopefully I will get back and be able to show something again. I know I'm still enjoying everything y'all are turning!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I think we all always need a break from things weather it is a hobby or life in general. Now I keep switching back and forth from scrolling to pen turning and it takes some time to back into the swing of either or after a time away. But you start slow. Prep some blanks. Lay out some kits. Clean the lathe. Just get back in the shop and do little things. It does not hurt to look at the eye candy here and get ideas and the juices flowing. I saw Steves diamond pen a few days ago and I am not at this moment into turning because I just started scrolling but an idea came to me and I may just stop and put a diamond pen together for the kicks.

WShankle

Right now my "paying hobbies" are the repair and creation of lamps, and table lamps usually. When I'm done with that for a bit I turn pens. As I love tools of all kinds, when I feel like "I've seen everything" at a particular point, I'll try to find another juncture, hence resin casting for pens. For me it keeps this fresh and it gives me a good reason to spend time in the shop, so that my hand don't "forget" how to work therein.

Stevej72

Yes, I'm trying to start back after about 8 years, haven't spent much time at all in the shop in that time. I've forgotten so much it has been hard, but looking at other peoples pens here helps a lot to give me some new things I would like to try. Spending even short amounts of time in the shop helps to make me feel like I want to do more.

DrD

I just started back after a long layoff, and immediately noted that one MUST pay attention to detail.

While I find turning quite relaxing, I have discovered a major downside. When I was in Canton, OH I developed a nice customer base that was interested in high-end fountain pens. What I have found here in NE MS, one has a hard time selling anything that is priced over $5.00. The wife isn't that keen on my building up an inventory of pens which have a materials cost of $40.00 or so.

Don

Hey Bobby, I was wondering what happened to you as I hadn't seen any posts for some time. There's some good advice on the other posts but here's my story. Way back in the early 90's I had a situation where I had made a piece for a lady and had nothing but problems with her. It was so bad that she basically black balled me in the small town we lived in. After that I quit woodworking...for years. My shop sat idle and all my tools just collected dust. It was very hard to get motivated again until my father in law was talking to me and asked why I had quit. I explained it to him and he very sneakily got me started again by helping him with his projects. Fast forward 15 years later and I walked into a Woodcraft store and saw a knife blank. Peeked my curiosity so I bought it and waited about a year to start it. That's all it took and I'm back in it full time now. Long story but my point is it's okay to stop and regroup. Walk away from pen turning for awhile and take a break. When you're ready you'll know. One thing you should make sure of is to not get rid of your equipment, you will need it again at some point...hopefully sooner than later.

philipff

I haven't turned anything in quite a while. I have other irons in the fire but I just haven't had the motivation to turn anything lately. I do have plans for making my mom and sister some thing for Christmas but I don't plan on starting those for another couple months. I really enjoy turning but man, I just can't get myself to even drill and tube a pen blank. Lol Hopefully I will get back and be able to show something again. I know I'm still enjoying everything y'all are turning!!
I would like to suggest that you start by executing a bunch of practice with the tools you intend to use. Find some cheap/free wood and work your way into it. These days fine blanks are expensive and practice needs to be done - -by even the great masters. P.

bsshog40

Hey Bobby, I was wondering what happened to you as I hadn't seen any posts for some time. There's some good advice on the other posts but here's my story. Way back in the early 90's I had a situation where I had made a piece for a lady and had nothing but problems with her. It was so bad that she basically black balled me in the small town we lived in. After that I quit woodworking...for years. My shop sat idle and all my tools just collected dust. It was very hard to get motivated again until my father in law was talking to me and asked why I had quit. I explained it to him and he very sneakily got me started again by helping him with his projects. Fast forward 15 years later and I walked into a Woodcraft store and saw a knife blank. Peeked my curiosity so I bought it and waited about a year to start it. That's all it took and I'm back in it full time now. Long story but my point is it's okay to stop and regroup. Walk away from pen turning for awhile and take a break. When you're ready you'll know. One thing you should make sure of is to not get rid of your equipment, you will need it again at some point...hopefully sooner than later.
I hear ya! Don't plan on getting rid of anything. Too much money invested. Lol Gonna do a few turnings for the family for Christmas in the coming months. I have the feeling once I get started on those that it will help me get back in the mood. For now, I bought me a Skinner Knife blade and pins from woodcraft and gonna make an antler handle for it. I don't have metal working tools to try my hand at blades but I wouldn't mind taking the easy way out on a couple knives and just make some handles for them. I'd like to do that for my stepdad. I'll get back on the train, just gotta find the time and push myself to the lathe. Lol

Top Bottom