Do you carry and use one of your pens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

The problem is when you EDC pens that you make you start to realize how low quality many of the kits really are. Then things get real interesting from that point on.

This is my current line up.
404148_3677445096626_1699249340_n.jpg

Made these one a few years back and it does seem to grow on me greatly, I grab either one and at best I get to show them off
1006171_10200090492926991_1158683362_n.jpg

and one of these.
429460_4107659731723_757711511_n.jpg

Now I must ask this is a personal decision and that does vary according to the person but the bottom line is it is a PERSONAL CHOICE. For example I just switched out from using this one.
295202_3754551464237_1287393495_n.jpg

The reason was due to the stylus cap and I decided to get another one and try it. So far it works out very good.

The #1 problem you will find is being rugged, standing up to usage, exposed to who knows what type of chemicals and many of the components just simply fail.

I know that CA finishes just does not hold up to decent field use but stabilized wood does. MOST soft more fragile is out as well as they crack, break, chip and degrade very fast.

Again, this thread is about personal preferences. Many may not like my choices but that to is personal choice. The bottom line is it is *MY* choice.

Having said that enjoy.

Ed

Russknan

Aero Click in gold with mulberry blank and gold and gunmetal Gatsby with honey locust root for everyday. One of several Jr Gent IIs with fancy wood for good wear or special show-and-tell. Russ

kovalcik

I carry a modified maple slimline with a messed up finish and a stylus added. Does not look great but for some reason feels great to write with.

JH Customs

I carry my newest pen or something that will peak interest where I am going. My favorite is my black bolt action with eucalyptus burl. Oh, and the fact that I have sold 50+ out of my shirt has given my credit card reader a permanent spot in my pocket. Oh and my wife is apparently on the pen lease program.

firewhatfire

I carry several. alot of times its something new and few regulars always go with me. My new one is a ebonite kitless. It may never be sold I like it so much.

LL Woodworks

Depends on where I'm going but I'm almost always packing:) At work I keep a camo Jr. Gent II roller ball, at church or someplace special I usually carry a custom FP and just out and about I'll carry a vertex clicker.

Have sold several pen by carrying them.

paintspill

i'm so guilty of not carrying a great pen. i can never pull out my finest work so i end up carrying one of the lesser pens. right now its a walnut baron fountain pen, it writes so well so that helps but the finish didn't come out great so i couldn't sell it. it still raises interest and i direct people to my site but i can't bring my self to pull out my finest. i have to break this habit.

sbwertz

My husband has six pens that I have made him. He carries different ones from time to time, and has had people buy them out of his pocket more than once.

WriteON

Just started carrying this yesterday with my iPhone.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 205
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 198

KenBrasier

I always am carrying one or more of my pens. I carry different ones for different occasions..... Because I am proud to show them off.

pshib

I've carried my clay fountain pen with me everyday for almost a year now. Even made a few sales because of it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 212

butchf18a

100% of the time. I only sell between $5,000-$6,000 per year, the vast majority through word of mouth, primarily by talking about pen I carry and use.

Dolphinjon

Embarrassingly, I rarely carry a pen that I made. I work as a costumes interpreter at a large restored village. My pens aren't necessarily period appropriate to the 1850's. Plus, I mainly work in the woodworking shops or broom shop, so a pen is not the most helpful. I guess I need to make something specifically for work. I usually do keep a couple stashed in my backpack that I break out when guests ask what kind of woodworking I do at home.

kirkfranks

Long clicker. I think it was chrome. Has held up fine last two years. I had a replaced Plexiglas finish onto. I did mess that up in one spot from physical damage. I may repair at some time in the future.

Rink

Gold Atrax with green amalgam-mutt blank from Beartooth. Gorgeous and I love it. Nice and heavy. Made two Atrax's...one for the wife, one for me....for last anniversary. Hers is orange and she carries it everywhere.

InvisibleMan

People don't just buy one of my pens when they see me with them, so I use them simply because I like to:)

My every day carry back and forth to work pens are these:

Cartridge/Converter with black usually, though it has Diamine Chocolate Brown at the moment. My first official Gallatin style of fountain pen, and my first Alumilite pen:

5009694_orig.jpg

And this, my second bulb filler, and one that I did a bit of engineering work on to keep ink capacity high, while making the blind cap seam way down at the ink window. I keep it filled with Diamine Denim, my overall favorite ink:

2380072_orig.jpg

Mike Powell

I carried three of them for a while here. A Comfort, designer, and a slimline with a jack daniels blank.

The comfort was given to my boss, and one of the other TSgts pulled it out of his pocket. I asked him what he was doing with that pen? He said it was his. I laughed and said Nope that is the MSgt's pen. He wanted to know how I knew that, and he turned beet red when I told him I made it and showed the picture of some of the others I made too..

The Designer - Someone else liked it better than me, cause it is gone..

The slim line I dont carry any more. I have been offered a trade at the bazaar for it, for a production pen he was selling for like 20 bucks. I denied him quickly.

I have been asked if I would make some when I got home for the some of the Supervision here in Afghanistan. We will see what my stock looks like when I get there. I will be sending wood home from here to do them if I decide too.

Deadhead

The cigar I usually use when I'm working in the control room; but lately I've been using the long clicker both in the control room and out in the plant. It only has Dr Woodshop walnut finishing oil buffed; I want to see how well it holds up.

The cigar has WTF.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.jpg
    IMG_0360.jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 174
  • Afzilia Burl Black TiPlatinum hybrid Cigar.jpg
    Afzilia Burl Black TiPlatinum hybrid Cigar.jpg
    302.3 KB · Views: 178

lorbay

I carry a Jr Gent 1 RB, cloaked in Maple Burl with 14 coats of thin CA. Been in the truck console for 2 years and it's looking still pretty good. A few dings but overall not bad.
Lin

nascrdad

I have 6 on my desk at work. 3 Jr Gent, 3 Manhattan dressed in Black Cherry Burl, Blue dyed Elder Burl and a couple of Laser Inlay kits

Cmiles1985

I have been carrying either one of my first two, both gold slimline pens, one with Bloodwood, the other with Bubinga. Today I carried my pretty pink acrylic/olive wood pen throughout the refinery. Nothing says manly like a pink pen!
9_image.jpg

Waluy

I was carrying my first Wall Street III up until a week ago when the ink finally dried up and instead of going to the store for more ink I started carrying an Atrax rollerball with a flame laser inlay kit made by Joe S. (gives me a chance to really test out the kit before buying some) but if my physical and drug screening go good today I will need to start carrying a sketch pencil as well (hopefully starting my Electrician's Apprenticeship).

I have a Jr Statesman in Kingwood that I keep in computer backpack and a Jr Statesman in kingman turquoise Tru-stone that I keep on my desk at work. Both roller balls with Schmidt 5888 F Private Reserve blue/black ink.

dtswebb

Black titanium El Grande ballpoint with Osage Orange for the wood. The refill is a Visconti sepia broad point gel ink refill. Been carrying it darn near everyday for the past three years. It fits the hand well and is a joy to write with.

shortz1lla

The dreaded personal carry pen. A quick note, all of my "firsts" are Hedge, which I initially intended to keep.
I started with a Trimline in Hedge that was stolen. Sierra in Hedge, stolen. Sierra click in Hedge, stolen. Chicago RB in Hedge... you guessed it, stolen. I still have my bolt action in Hedge, but I don't like it as a carry pen. Now I carry a Redheart one piece slim in Gunmetal - I don't think anyone likes it because I still have it. The overwhelming trend for me is that people will pay for a pen they like... unless it's Hedge. I just hope the same person took all of them so they can have the whole collection. I'm actually kind of nervous to make my first fountain pen from it...

TwoCatsPens

I've got a collection that I rotate through, sort of depends on my mood for the day. Some are ones that have some very slight flaw like an overturned area, or a shape that just didn't quite work out. Some have an imaginary flaw that only I know about that FORCED me to put them in my collection rather than sell. My "Dress Pen" is a Sterling / Gold Ti Cambridge with a Flame Mesquite body. It's the first "Expensive" pen I ever did, and therefore it has some meaning for me.

Steve

Haynie

I carried 2: A Jr. Gent 2 roller ball and a fountain. Some little punk in one of my classes took them OUT of my desk.

Top Bottom