Do Uk members buy on here?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard92

Having not been on this site long I was wondering if UK members buy on here and do they pay import duty. I presume that they do. There is some good items or links but with import duty not really viable to purchase.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

robutacion

The answer is, yes they do both, some buy here and also pay the taxes, unfortunately for the UK peoples, there isn't much you guys can buy without being hit with the import taxes, we here in Australia are super lucky on that regard, we only get taxed for anything over AU$1,000 I can't guarantee that this will last forever as governments are always looking for ways to increase their revenue but for now, we get spoiled...!

Cheers
George

Richard92

The answer is, yes they do both, some buy here and also pay the taxes, unfortunately for the UK peoples, there isn't much you guys can buy without being hit with the import taxes, we here in Australia are super lucky on that regard, we only get taxed for anything over AU$1,000 I can't guarantee that this will last forever as governments are always looking for ways to increase their revenue but for now, we get spoiled...!

Cheers
George
I was sure that was the case. Unfortunate for us as there is a vast selection of items out there that take so long before they are available in the UK.
Never mind 😥

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Richard, although I very rarely buy anything anymore, either here or in US, when I did it was hit or miss as to whether I'd get taxed when it arrived. I reckon about 60% of all my orders got taxed.
Professionally packaged stuff with the proper printed labels etc tended to attract the taxman most often.
Like you said, the variety in the UK is limited and takes a while before being available here. But I tend to think it can still be cheaper buying from the US or OZ even if you pay the taxman and other fees. You will only pay a max of 20% ( VAT ) plus the shipper handling fees.....about £8 for the Post Office. But if you compare those final costs with places like Axminster's or Turners Retreat ( CSUK ) then those import prices aren't too bad.

If you buy something from a regular member here ( not a business ) and the parcel and label is hand written etc, then I reckon you are much less likely to get snagged. There is a starting value figure before tax is due too. it used to be £28 ( I think ). So if someone just sent you a couple of kits or blanks and declare less than that, then you 'shouldn't' get taxed.

What sometimes really upset me was sometimes the actual postal cost of the sender was added to the contents value by the taxman!!!
Another thing that can catch you is International pen swaps. ( PITHs ) I have had to pay big fees because the sender placed a very high value on their pen.

Last edited:

PenPal

Richard, although I very rarely buy anything anymore, either here or in US, when I did it was hit or miss as to whether I'd get taxed when it arrived. I reckon about 60% of all my orders got taxed.
Professionally packaged stuff with the proper printed labels etc tended to attract the taxman most often.
Like you said, the variety in the UK is limited and takes a while before being available here. But I tend to think it can still be cheaper buying from the US or OZ even if you pay the taxman and other fees. You will only pay a max of 20% ( VAT ) plus the shipper handling fees.....about £8 for the Post Office. But if you compare those final costs with places like Axminster's or Turners Retreat ( CSUK ) then those import prices aren't too bad.

If you buy something from a regular member here ( not a business ) and the parcel and label is hand written etc, then I reckon you are much less likely to get snagged. There is a starting value figure before tax is due too. it used to be £28 ( I think ). So if someone just sent you a couple of kits or blanks and declare less than that, then you 'shouldn't' get taxed.

What sometimes really upset me was sometimes the actual postal cost of the sender was added to the contents value by the taxman!!!
Another thing that can catch you is International pen swaps. ( PITHs ) I have had to pay big fees because the sender placed a very high value on their pen.

Dear Skiprat an amazing thing happened to me yesterday on a for sale Facebook page here in Canberra,this image appeared for sale as a Mouse ,Rat. My first immediate thought was I want that Rat and today at 2pm I took delivery of a metal ,hand made RAt. Both Wilma and I were beyond excited to obtain this wonderful complete,beautiful Rat. It sits with me at the Computer to remind me of my mate Steven for ever.

Hi there mate.Hang in there. I go in a week or two to remove a Cancer in my ear where I had 1/3rd of this ear removed 16 yrs ago with another Cancer. That ideot Doctor come show pony did it with local anasthetics boasting all the way through.

Take care my friend but now I have the comfort of my new friend to greet me. Wilma sends her love also.

Kindest regards Peter and Wilma.
DSCF9694.JPG

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Ha ha Peter.... the resemblance is amazing!! :D Looks just like me!

Big hug and kiss to Wilma from us too please.😘

GraiDawg

Just incase of deciding to purchase across the pond. Any suggestion on all round suppliers?
I would suggest the independent traders, rather than any of the big companies, they can hand write your address and keep the value on the decleration below the 29 pounds sterling VAT threshold.
Also be careful about ordering wood, the uk has some wierd import restrictions on unprocessed wood. I'm guessing stabilised and hybrids would be ok though

howsitwork

I've had good results from PSI and excellent help from Ruth Niles for stoppers etc. Veritas in Canada are also excellent but virtually always taxed as they do a really good job of packaging and declaring costs etc 😢

Top Bottom