Do these qualify as ...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Snowbeast

Snowbeast

.. segmented bowls?

Saw some 'chaos pattern' cutting boards at a craft show recently and decided to try that with my bowls. These are what I got. Just a few scraps and not as chaotic as I wanted but the concept seems to work. Think I found my niche!

Walnut, Red Oak, Poplar, Mesquite, Hard Maple

IMG_5687.JPGIMG_5688.JPG

Comments and critiques welcome as always. Thanx for looking.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

howsitwork

Interesting.

The small plug in the centre base of each detracts from the overall piece. Is this from a screw chuck? Even if you chiselled it and made it square it would then nit stand out as much. Like the pieces and overall appearance, nice work. Dread to think how long lamination took !

Snowbeast

Thanx guys.

Mr. Vic - Yes this was done on my Ringmaster. Kept them relatively simple as I haven't made a bowl for some time.

Ian - The plug in the bottom is from the 1/2" hole necessary for mounting on the Ringmaster. The plug usually blends in better either hidden in the solid center piece or as a center 'bullseye' on some designs. This chaotic squares design makes them stand out a lot more. I'll work on hiding them a bit better.

The lamination didn't take as long as you might think. I started by building what was essentially a blank for making a chaotic cutting board and then cut the final pieces at 3/4" rather than 1 1/2" - 2" for a cutting board. A gent on Youtube (MTM wood) has a couple of great videos on making chaotic cutting boards and I just modified his technique to fit my needs. Corks58 can tell you I have some interesting (?) ideas when making bowls.

IMG_5681.JPG This shows the original blank before turning. The lower piece is the cutting board blank that is then crosscut and reglued into the flat panel in the rear. The Ringmaster does the rest of the 'segmenting' as it cuts.

Top Bottom