Do I put this on a Bolt Action??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I've picked up a few boxes of shorts recently--some really spectacular stuff included. Needed to make a few bolt actions to replenish, so rooted through and found an amboyna burl and a dyed box elder (i think), both stabilized that just made the length needed for the hardware. The box elder looked green with a little blue on the outside--like a mossy forest--figured it would look kind of camo when turned.

As i turned it, i saw incredible eyes begin to show, but also a lot of purple. Got to the finish and it's sea foam with a field of flowers!! Don't get me wrong, this is one of the most beautiful blanks I've ever seen--but it's tubed & turned for a 30 caliber bolt action with a rifle clip. I've sold some BA's to women who hunt, but they have all asked for camouflage.

To my knowledge, the bolt action and "Deer Hunter" and such use the same tube, but i'm not aware of any non-hunting hardware that 2" (just under) length. I can't stand the thought of trashing this blank--but will it look right dressing a Bolt Action? Do I just put it together and let the Pen Gods decide if there is pent-up demand for flowers and bullets coexisting?????
Thanks!!
earl
(P.S. The one on the left is the one i'm asking about!! :biggrin: )

Attachments

• Bolt Action Blanks 4-6-2018.JPG
    Bolt Action Blanks 4-6-2018.JPG
    108.5 KB · Views: 364
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Colors on the left one, and grain pattern on the right one are amazing !!

I would say the right one would definitely, and admirably suit a Bolt Action.

The left one ... maybe not so much, but it would not be out of place, IMHO.

You might also consider the PSI Steampunk kit which requires a 1.85" blank tubed with 3/8". The finished wall thickness is a fair bit greater than on the B.A. so if your blanks are already turned for a B.A. they would not suit. I don't particularly like the Steampunk styling but it is a possibility if you have not turned the blanks down too far already. I think the outside diam for the Steampunk is 0.550" and preferrably (IMHO) uniform along the length.

WriteON

Do I just put it together and let the Pen Gods decide if there is pent-up demand for flowers and bullets coexisting?????
Thanks!!

Absolutely. Give it a "Shot". Different is cool. It's creative. Maybe a Gold or Black kit. Black is my pick.

Last edited:

mecompco

FWIW, the Pro-X tubes are also 2", the same as the Bolt Action. I don't think it would be my first choice for that blank, but I think it would work better than Bolt Action.

greenacres2

Yeah, it's already turned...and it was so short to start with by the time I knew how it would turn out it was too late to segment--good reason to think about turning round BEFORE drilling!!

@ Michael--any idea how close the Pro-X bushing OD might be to 0.466", which is where i'm at. (not seeing it listed in the chart or on a search) I'm with you on it not being a first choice--but it could work. Looking at the hardware colors, that blank might be a little "cheery". Would be perfect on a Duchess--but i'm not creative enough to figure out how to get there!!

Thanks all,
earl

Last edited:

magpens

Forgot about the Pro-X. . Don't like the way they assemble but after you get past that they look ok. Could be acceptable for the multi-color blank.

greenacres2

Ended up using an antique brass BA, pic just posted in Show Off Your Pens. Waffled between that and an antique pewter Deer Hunter, but the DH was too busy for the wood--which has plenty going on already!!

Thanks for all the input--it was great fun. Been a good weekend of turning, and it's only Saturday night!!
earl

Top Bottom