Dizzy Bowl #24. My Best One To Date

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

Finished this one off this morning and it turned out better than I expected .
Padauk ,Black Walnut , White Oak , Bubinga . Birch , Maple . and both red an brown Zebra wood .
12" diameter by 7 1/8" tall.
Sanding sealer followed by multiple coats of high quality gloss lacquer .
Hundreds of people on Facebook keep telling me I am way underpriced so the one I posted yesterday on half a dozen groups there is now $190.00 and this one will be $225.00 when I post it there right after posting this latest one here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mmayo

If you sell them for $225 and are happy, me too. If you start selling more a price creap could definitely be warranted. Superb work

W.Y.

Gorgeous.
I expect it's sale value is closer to $1,000.00
I know they are some listed by others between 600 and even over 1000.00 on some sites but they probably have to wait for years to get that price . For me I have to sell then at a price that will buy me more expensive exotic woods and cover the cost of equipment and accessories and shop supplies and general overhead. I make zero profit on them just like I used to and many still do on their pens . A price of hourly wage doesn't enter the picture .
I just like making them as a hobby. I sold that one day before yesterday for $250.00 prepaid delivery .

W.Y.

The Craftsman/Artist is worthy of his hire! When you are pleased with your workmanship, show it by a bump in the price, not by the whines of your competitors.

Easy for ones to say that have never been there and never done that.

Price it high and keep it forever. Price it reasonable in order to buy enough tools , accessories and wood , finishing supplies etc . to be able continue on with the hobby .
At 82 I am still enjoying the hobby and the satisfaction that I get from making such things that some people can only dream of making . That satisfaction is worth as much to me as if I was actually getting something for my time .

donstephan

If one doesn't include a cost of labor, is the message to the public that the skill and knowledge required to make a dizzy bowl is less than the skill and knowledge required to flip burgers at a fast food joint? Pity the people that work hard to develop skill and knowledge and count on a part time income from wood turning.

donstephan

Put the bowl on consignment for a charity auction. If it sells, you get what you want for the bowl (the consignment price) and hopefully it sells for what it is worth and the charity gets needed income.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
The Craftsman/Artist is worthy of his hire! When you are pleased with your workmanship, show it by a bump in the price, not by the whines of your competitors.

Easy for ones to say that have never been there and never done that.

Price it high and keep it forever. Price it reasonable in order to buy enough tools , accessories and wood , finishing supplies etc . to be able continue on with the hobby .
At 82 I am still enjoying the hobby and the satisfaction that I get from making such things that some people can only dream of making . That satisfaction is worth as much to me as if I was actually getting something for my time .

I love your work, and each in this theme gets better than the previous. You know your local market better than anyone else. If you are satisfying your needs, all is well.

I could not agree more about being compensated enough to pay back basics, and get some nice materials to continue. I fully understand that some folks truly need to make a reasonable profit above all materials and time, if that is not the case, then the satisfaction of a nice sale and future materials is very fine.

As to the bowl - BEAUTIFUL!

W.Y.

Thanks for all the nice comments and sorry for my late reply. I have been so busy both making more bowls and making some shop jigs as well as catching up with fall season outside work that I didn't pop in here to visit with all my friends here lately .
Lots of stuff keeps this 82 year old wood nerd busy and sometimes even out of mischief :biggrin:

William - I echo what Mark said. I've been watching your craft for years now (even back on the old Wood Magazine website) and it's been getting better and Better and BETTER!

And this one is (IMHO) your best yet. Way to go, William!

Top Bottom