Dissassembing 8mm Slimeline Pro Click

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bassman00

I'm not sure if I missaligned things or the click mechanism is bad but I need to dissassemble an 8mm Slimeline Pro Click pen. I was able to get the pen coupler off and can probably find a rod or bolt to push the centerband out of the lower blank but the upper blank presents a problem The clip insert and the centerband are the same thickness and the click mechanism is between them. Can't push either of them out. I'm at a loss.

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mike_l

Hope you get this fixed. Surely someone has had the same problem.
Please let me know how this kit compares to others. I ordered a few and I am curious. Sorry I wasn't much help.

Mike L

daledut

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I have not found a good way to do this without destroying parts.

I have "disassembled" 3 SL Pro pens, by drilling out the clip insert. This is not ideal because you could destroy the pen. At the very least this will destroy the click mechanism and the clip insert.

I 2 of my cases I made the pen of one solid piece of wood, so there was no option of separating it in the center.

In one case I was able to pull the center band out of the top part by wrapping rubber around the CB and using "gas pliers" to twist and work the CB out of the upper tube.

If you are wondering what gas pliers are here is a link with a photo. I have not purchased from this company, it was just the first one I found with a picture. My pliers are from my copier repair days and they were available in any tool catalog. I like them for gripping round things.

2004126212641_1300-6C.jpg
<br />
http://www.crawfordtool.com/crescent.html

Hope this helps some, you just happened to pick one of the more difficult pens to disasemble.

Oh yes, one thing you need to be sure of when assembling a SL Pro, is that the CB is installed right side up. It is part of what makes the click mechanism work. The longer end of the CB assembly must inserted in the upper half, toward the push button or it wont work.

G

You might try something that I had thought of making the next time I had need of dissassembling that type of pen.
What I envisioned was a pair of naul pullers drilled out the same diameter of the stem that is pressed in.
the "jaws" would "wedge" between the two parts and hopefully separate and lift out as I squeezed and pulled.
I was lucky enough to pull one click pen apart without damaging the components but I did wonder about the "next time"

bassman00

Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that the SL Pro's weren't going to be easy to disassemble. I'll try the gas pliers idea and if it doesn't work, I'll save the parts I can salvage as extras. The reason I wanted to disassemble mine because the click mechanism was sticking. Either it was bad or I inserted it improperly. I made 10 Slimline Pro's over the past week and only had this problem. Very nice pen with the Gelwriter refill.

daledut

I had a couple of SL Pro's with the largest plastic piece of the click mechanism cracked. This allowed it to flex out of shape and bind in the tube.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom