display case molds

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mokol

i would like to make display cases that will hold the object {pen or letter opener. etc.} i am not sure but i would like to mold a item into the form. something like a camera lens might be packed with but open so you can see the item.
any ideas what to use, and to buy the material -thanks for any help MOKOL

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

td

Banned
I've done molding in RTV silicone to make custom (small) shapes as well as individual and multi-blank molds (forms). The silicone mold is then used to pour in Polyester Resin to make blanks to turn..... I'm not sure I understand what kind of material you would like to "form". Are you referring to a PR pen box? Or perhaps an insert out of PR to put into a wood box? This would make a pretty heavy box or display case. Depending on how large a case you want to make..... you might want to consider cutting foam rubber to your shape and covering with velvet.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I think I know just what you mean.. I'd love to be able to do this, too.
I've found suppliers, but the startup cost is prohibitive.
If you ever got a shipment with foam in a bag that custom fits the
item, this is what I'm referring to.

These materials are often found in manufacturing or shipping companies.
It is a pour in foam that molds around whatever you put in it. Might be
tricky to do it in such a small scale.

Basic premise is that you would line your case with a plastic bag, pour in
the liquid foam and when it starts to set up you close the bag, you put
your objects on top so that the foam cures around it. Then you can cover
it with some sort of material or flocking to make it look nice.

I know that there's a company out there making small units for things like
a UPS Store and such .. but it is still expensive. Maybe you could find one
near you and see if A) they have it, and B) they would help you out.

There's also some envelopes that you can buy which are activated after
you put the item in it.. works on a similar principle, only smaller scale. I'm not
sure if it is a two part chemical process .. maybe you have to 'break open' some
packet inside or something .. I'm just not sure.

mokol

thank you -terry and new london
i am thinking of something like the expanded form used for insulating
comes in a spray can and might be used to spray over a wood or plaster item in shape of item to be displayed. the cavity created would then hold the item

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
You can cut insulation board with a router. Make a pattern from plywood, then cut the pink board, hit it with flocking.

Just a thought, yes I have done it. Works - may not be "top shelf" but works.

Chasper

I'm familiar with producing castings with expanded polyurethane foam. Most of us know it as insulation foam. In the simplest form, the process is to start with a model of the shape you want, carving it out of wood would be the obvious way to make the model, use a router to carve in some slots for pens.

Lay the model (slots up) on a stone slab, build a fence around it allowing an inch or so on all sides, and pour silicone mold material ($100+ per gallon) over the model. I won't go into using a vaccuum pump to suck air through the model or coating it and the stone slab with alachol diluted vaseline to prevent sticking. You will also need to make a lid which is a wood slap that is a little larger than the back of the model and coated with silicone mold material.

After removing the model from the mold, turn the mold over so the pen slots are down. Casting foam is formulated a little differently than insulating foam, but you could get by with the aerosol cans of insulation if you are fast. Squirt a layer of foam over the inside of the mold, before it can start foaming and rising, cover the back of the mold with the silocone coated slap and clamp it down tight. As the foam tries to rise inside the closed mold it will become denser and form a shell on the outer surfaces that are in contact with the mold and lid. You will need to spray on a layer of flocking.

Now you are ready to cast hunderds of them in the mold. But if I only needed a dozen or so of them, I think I would just make them out of wood. Here is a place that will sell you the silicone and urethane casting materials. http://www.jgreer.com/silicone page.htm

Top Bottom