Dismantle Shaving Stand.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wm460

Tennant Creek, Northern Territory, Australia,0860.
I made a shaving set for someone a while ago, they knocked it off the shelf and broke a chunk out of it.

How do you dismantle the stem without damaging it any more?

d4d85b0fc83b48c552066f965c656e62.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jolly Red

I would disassemble it the same as a pen, using the steel center finding set from Harbor Freight. Then turn a new barrel, or turn off part of the existing blank and insert a piece where it is broken. Might put one at each end for a more balanced appearance.
Tom

Jolly Red

The pieces are held in with an friction fit, so if you can hold it without marring the surface, they can be pulled apart. You may have to twist some to get them to loosen up. Once it is time to put it back together, use some glue to hold them together. Don't use super glue, if it gets on the barrel it will demolish the finish. Use epoxy, which can be cleaned up with alcohol, without damaging most finishes.
Tom

robutacion

G'day mate,

I'm surprised you asked that question, didn't you put it together, once...? If the answer is, it's glued so it ain't come out, well...! I suggest the "fixer" toll, there is the hammer, put the resin part over a piece of flat metal and smack it to pieces, be gentle with that hammer no need for a slash hammer.
Tape the metal part for protection just in case.
You could also use heat on the resin blank, it may ignite so be careful, the hammer would be my better option.

Best of luck,
Keep safe.

Cheers
George

sbwertz

Do you have one of these

Or one of these

Clamp the barrel in the soft jaws and grab the insert with the pliers, and tap the pliers with a hammer to remove the insert.

carlmorrell

I like using the pennstate assembly/disassembly press. Prior to owning one, I used to wrap compression tape around the body. You can get it a drug stores. Then I hold the body in my hand, put a transfer punch (round rod) inside and a hammer. Hope I don' miss and hammer my hand.

I just swapped out the hardware on my shaving set last week. However I kept the bodies and did not have to remove that piece.
IMG_3064.JPG

Top Bottom